Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Decoding Ex-GMH Evaluation Vehicle

How many km's do YOU guys/gals think it has on the odometer ?

• 85,000km

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 105,000km

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 125,000km

• 145,000km

• 165,000km

• 175,000km

• Not Sure/Higher km's

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Well if you have a GMH certificate why are you questioning it on here?

I have a VX II L67 Calais, it came with the V8 diff and heavy duty drive shafts, nothing special there. Been heavy is nothing special, it just costs fuel mileage. I also have a V8 exhaust system, the front half of the original exhaust matches the V8 system (at the cat converters) so this swap was rather easy so again it's not like a lot of thought was put into it, I believe it was so from the VT onwards. The factory L67 exhaust (twin into single after the diff) is somewhat marginal so with the V8 exhaust fitted it would go better than stock as the engine will rev out better.

The problem with the L67 is that when it first came out in the VS it was capable of producing more power/torque than the flagship SS with 304 motor so it is my honest opinion that Holden detuned em and fairly much from then onwards it was so. If you check out the US L67's they make more power stock than ours did for the equivalent model years.

Reason why i was asking info with how rare evaluation vehicles are, etc is just because Holden shed minimal light into the matter haha
It is pretty bullshit how NZ models literally got an ultra povo spec PCM, weird.... very weird

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Reason why i was asking info with how rare evaluation vehicles are, etc is just because Holden shed minimal light into the matter haha
It is pretty bullshit how NZ models literally got an ultra povo spec PCM, weird.... very weird

What weird povo spec PCM?

Stock shift points are over 5000rpm. This I know because I tune these cars.

Do you want to post up what your PCM code is and the memcal code too?

A Calais would never have had FE2 as standard but no doubt you could option it as that was how Holden worked. About the only option not available on L67 models was a manual transmission.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
So, you have an on-road bitsa test mule? What else are we missing to this story?

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
So, you have an on-road bitsa test mule? What else are we missing to this story?
That's it, it was complied to be on the road in accordance to regulations, compliance plate, etc
So obviously someone at Holden let it escape soooo, it's intriguing never the less. Holden will only release so much info due to "privacy"
Hence why i'm here seeing what else i can possibly get, info wise

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes over 5000rpm with "power" mode on, without if they short shift around 4300rpm roughly, for "economy"
Yeah there was alot of stuff you could option on Holden's back then even on top spec models, unfortunately as they got newer options lowered. A manual would have been nice but it's just another way they could water down the L67 by not giving it a 6sp manual, etc

I believe it was DDRJ last time i took a look, just felt like seeing what other parts weren't typical equipment on a VX, after all evaluation vehicles can be a combination of whatever they had to work with
I think the NZ export PCM didn't have O2 sensors or something like that ?

That is not correct. Factory shift points are higher than 4300rpm. I have dropped the shift points on our Calais so it shifts at 5000rpm because I've exceeded the flow of the stock MAF so there isn't much point revving it higher until I get around to fitting a larger MAF.

Early EFI Commodores (i.e VN/VP) didn't get O2 sensors because we still had leaded fuel in the early 90's. The ecu was the same, the tune was different. Our VP cop cars did have the O2 sensor fitted.

The only manual option available for the V6 (in that era) was the Getrag and unfortunately it just simply wasn't rated for the torque the L67 produced and hence no manual option. I do not believe GM ever released a L36/L67 with 6 speed gearbox in rear wheel drive configuration so there was simply no option to fit one from the GM parts bin.

DDRJ is the VX HSV XU6 tune.

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
That is not correct. Factory shift points are higher than 4300rpm. I have dropped the shift points on our Calais so it shifts at 5000rpm because I've exceeded the flow of the stock MAF so there isn't much point revving it higher until I get around to fitting a larger MAF.

Early EFI Commodores (i.e VN/VP) didn't get O2 sensors because we still had leaded fuel in the early 90's. The ecu was the same, the tune was different. Our VP cop cars did have the O2 sensor fitted.

The only manual option available for the V6 (in that era) was the Getrag and unfortunately it just simply wasn't rated for the torque the L67 produced and hence no manual option. I do not believe GM ever released a L36/L67 with 6 speed gearbox in rear wheel drive configuration so there was simply no option to fit one from the GM parts bin.

DDRJ is the VX HSV XU6 tune.

What would be the larger MAF you'd go with ?
That's probably why i was reading NZ export models didn't have O2's then haha !

A 6sp manual would be pretty sweet though as a daily, if it was possible somehow. The L67's are highly underrated engines when you think of a buick grand national having 200kw basically in the 80's from it's turbo 3.8, they'll never be "LS popular" but if you get a tight one built on a good day, they're a snotty motor for a daily, i've been averaging 10.8L p/100km mainly city driving. Like i said, i'm not suprised it's got odds & ends factory stuff you wouldn't generally find on an all stock regular run of the mill VX - VY L67

Doesn't burn a single drop of oil, running 98RON fuel, transmission i think has an upgraded servo though but holden probably fitted a HSV server from a V8 most likely, external trans cooler (was standard on the super 6 but stupidly optional on the V8 & L36)

The L67's are in my opinion an underdog, if you tune them perfectly, they can be suprisingly fuel efficient whilst returning good power for daily commuting. How many VX - VY's do you personally know of that have a belly pan/sump guard/radiator guard factory fitted ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sump guard was common on police vehicles I believe.