Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dedicated LPG Memcal

Tony2

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into obtaining and fitting a memcal that is tuned for optimum lpg ignition curves? Mine is a V8 by the way which is currently running dual fuel. If the performance increase was worth it - which I'm not sure about, I could forget the petrol and set it up optimally for gas. Any ideas?

V

Vs-AcclaimII

Re Lpg

If you were planning on running straight gas, you might have problems along the way, Gas convertor might go and if it does you would have to tow the car

Tony2

Reaction score
Yes, thats true, but there are a hundred other things on a petrol only car that if they fail you would also have to tow the car. I think a fuel pump is more likely to fail than a gas convertor.

P

phoenix_984

i have a dual fuel VT - gas is so much cheaper and same amount of power - im gonna get mine chipped in the next few months - id suggest looking at a unichip - programmable - expensive but probably the best solution for power gains and economy and it has different fuel maps for gas and pet so you can have both tuned

D

death-from-above

Have a speak to Gas Research and see what they can do for you, the other thing is since your car automatically starts with petrol you will need to rectify this if you plan on going straight gas. The other option is to maybe look at gas injection...

Freddy510

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden V8 Hilux, VP V6 Hilux, VT V6 Hiace.
I have ran straight gas for years (300,000klms) never had a problem.
Freddy

wogboy_9000

Reaction score
apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but like tony2 said, is it possible to have a duel fuel setup, and basically run it only on lpg and have it setup optimally for lpg? running lpg specific plugs, leads, timing, etc.
could greenfoam set up a memcal for such an application?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The ideal spark timing for LPG is about the same as 95 octane petrol from 3000 rpm up so a basic performance tune for lpg works fine there. You can also get away with a bit more down low if you are running straight lpg but really, what works great for good fuel also works great for lpg. On the VR V6's I run similar timing to the early VN/P hsv tunes and they love it. I haven't seen anyone elses but I'd say everyones VR V6 tunes are about the same since that works so well and is easy to do. You can gain more from a VR V6 than any of the other early V6's

wogboy_9000

Reaction score
ah ok thanks, very interesting. I'm considering getting a duel fuel conversion, or straight gas on a VS SS 5.0, with it running 99% of the time on gas.
so you are saying a memcal setup primarily for gas in this instance would be the same as for petrol, or very similar?

without going lpg injection, I'm just looking for an optimal power and economy setup....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well for the 5 litre yep it's the same deal. You would set it up for peak power output as you would for high octane fuel then just run 95 or even 98 octane in the tank as your back up fuel, good to keep you injectors/fuel system clean too since they wont be running often. Also don't go for a gas ring lpg setup, go for one of the gas carby setups, it's just a couple hundred bucks extra and well worth it