Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deep dish wheels

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SS Thunder Ute 6ltr V8 manual
All the wheels I like will not fit because of the +45 offset

Is there a kit to flair the guards to take wider wheels with 0 offset?

and are added guard flairs legal in Qld.?

Thanks in advance
C-

s-l800.jpg

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
How wide are the wheels you're trying to fit? Offset is just one part of the equation, and it's useless without the width. Also, have you had your guards rolled?

You can use this to get dimensions for whatever you're trying to fit - www.willtheyfit.com

Last edited:

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
I want to fit 8" fronts and 10" wide rears, but the wheels I like don't have + offsets (ET)
It had 10" wide when I bought it and they fit even when it was super low and they were 20" rims, but they had the correct ET
Now I have new king springs (raised as high as it will go) and yes guards are rolled.
I am still lacking about 40-50mm to fit what I like, I have been told I have to shorten diff or flair guards. I have not painted yet so I am looking into wider guards.

My orig. questions:
1. are wide body flared guards legal?
2. If so what kits are recommended?

Thank for the fitment link

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I want to fit 8" fronts and 10" wide rears, but the wheels I like don't have + offsets (ET)
It had 10" wide when I bought it and they fit even when it was super low and they were 20" rims, but they had the correct ET
Now I have new king springs (raised as high as it will go) and yes guards are rolled.
I am still lacking about 40-50mm to fit what I like, I have been told I have to shorten diff or flair guards. I have not painted yet so I am looking into wider guards.

My orig. questions:

Thank for the fitment link

Enjoy reading

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/V...ions-vehicle-standards-and-modifications.aspx

To the best of my knowledge, it is not legal to fit wheels which are greater than 1 inch (25mm) wider than standard, or to change the track greater than 1 inch from standard.

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
4x4s can get away with 50mm extra and they go much more

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
My orig. questions:

Nobody makes fibreglass wide rears like they do for the Japanese cars, but you can just get generic flairs that you just glue or bolt on to the wheel arches. I don't think you will get what you're after though, apart from the way it looks being sky high, if it's fouling on the guards it will still do it with flairs unless you cut the panelwork away and rejoin the panels or pump the guards massively (to a point where it might not be possible).

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was considering cutting the existing guards up to the inner tubs, then fixing some kind of kit guards that came out and back down.
But if it is not legal then I am not going to go down that path.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
IMHO it's a lot of work that isn't worth it really and I think you'd have road worthy issues, I'd be looking for a different wheel. Aggressive fitment and King springs don't go together well either, partiularly if you're daily driving.

Other thing too is that making the track wider on the rear than on the front will make it not corner so well.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You have to consider the track being within specs, which I believe are 25 or 26 MM wider than the maximum factory allowable track.

If you were to go down the path you are wanting, you have to get engineering approval to do so, to avoid any roadworthy issues.