Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deep Pan & Wide Mouth V8 A6

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I've done a bit of research into the gearbox fluid starvation issue that underpins almost every common problem / complaint, ranging from operating temp to need for aux cooler to shift quality / flare / hesitation to quarter mile / 60ft times.
Our MYC needs more fluid and better flow by all accounts. Google "Camaro deep pan caddie wide mouth filter" and VE or G8.
Holds 700-1000ml more than stock:
u2esugu3.jpg

pickup sits way deeper:
enunaseg.jpg

and has wide flow mouth and channel:
y3yzubaq.jpg

Anyways I'm ordering two complete kits today because the shipping box will fit another, so if you want the best performance and life out of your 6l80e let me know ASAP.
For those interested gaz05 on the ls1.com.au forum has some baffled caddy pans that work great and the filter to suit can be purchased through Repco!

Drizt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
What is the extra baffle meant to do?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
For those interested gaz05 on the ls1.com.au forum has some baffled caddy pans that work great and the filter to suit can be purchased through Repco!

Same result with just the Camaro pan, filter is half price of Repco.

Drizt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
Mine was installed and I got it back today....

I can't really comment on how it changes the A6 behaviour as I had the engine and trans tuned by another tuner when I had it installed. (Chevs the first time, and now it is done by APS).

Here are some pics for those interested...

IMG_20131109_163059.jpg

IMG_20131109_163145.jpg

IMG_20131109_163212.jpg

IMG_20131109_163222.jpg

Thank you Pir4te for the kit :)

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
It seems like a no brainer that having more cool fluid must help with trans to perform better and last longer. Will have to look into doing this as i doubt my fluids ever been changed, just do it all at once.

GreenSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon Black Edition
I fitted mine last friday, here's how it helped me.

The biggest problem I had started after the cam was installed, the best way I can describe it would be that in 2nd gear on hard acceleration, when up around 4,000rpm the revs would spike all the way to redline and sort of lose drive in the process (even in manual mode). It felt very different to the standard flaring that happens in between shifts and only began after the cam install. Anyway, its completely fixed this issue. Revs are now consistent through the whole range.

Flaring still exists but seems to be reduced in frequency and intensity (auto has not been retuned after pan mod)

Also the other problem these transmissions suffer is a kind of hesitation that sometimes happens upon slowing down when throttle is reapplied, it kind of pauses for a second while it decides which gear to select. Again, this still happens now and then but seems to be shorter in duration.

Maybe a better tune will help to go along with the deep pan mod.
Anyway, just thought I would share my experience. I would recommend this mod to anyone having issues with their A6. Very easy to do.

Drizt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
Cheers for the feedback.

I got mine done when I got a retune done by APS so it is hard to say what had the greater impact the new tune or the deep pan mod. Very happy with the results none the less. APS did a fantastic job.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but you point me the right direction on where to get one of these kits.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Sure mate, Greg at Paceperformance dot com is a G8 dude at a big US parts warehouse so email him and he will make sure you get all the right bits real quick.
Massive difference with T43 retune, just keeps pulling.
Mention Dirk the Pirate from AUS recommended it and he'll remember because I got about half a dozen made up at the time.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Might have to look into doing this. I knew about it, never knew it made such a difference.

from the blokes who've done it, is it recommended to get the trans retuned or doesn't make a whole lot of difference?