Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deep Pan & Wide Mouth V8 A6

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Here is stock Camaro pan, what I called deep pan, installed on our car:

garage_attachment.php

Here is a close-up back to back comparison to the stock part:

[video=youtube_share;QYWYhC3f3j4]http://youtu.be/QYWYhC3f3j4[/video]

The Camaro "deep pan" shown above is the one on the left in this pic:

11025_11087_stock_lg.jpg

Perhaps someone looking to invest / improve the life and performance of the 6L80 would care to look into this low profile high quality part that offers more, given the proven difference the standard Camaro pan (and CTS-V wide-mouth pickup) makes.

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Sorry for the thread dig here.....

I just installed this mod over the weekend and my immediate response to this is WOW !!!!!
I cannot believe the difference this mod has made to the transmission !

I think my original pan was overfilled by around 1Litre (I didnt know this until I dropped the Pan and saw how much fluid came out).
I recently changed my radiator, so I lost around 500ml of fluid from the transmission, and I noticed a fairly substantial difference at that point.
(Just losing the 500ml, there was far more slippage on steep hills and corners on hills, and you could hear a very slight whistling noise in third or fourth gear - not 100% sure).

The slippage wasn't really noticeable, (Although I was monitoring this intensely since the radiator change, as I knew this could potentially cause problems).

After the new Pan, WOW..... The first word that comes to mind to express this mod is consistency !
Regardless of how steep a hill I drove up or down, going around roundabouts, sudden stop, takeoff, the transmission consistently shifts normally....
(Whereas before, the transmission seemed to have mood swings, where sometimes it would flare, or slip a little for no apparent reason).

If you are thinking of changing transmission fluid on a 6L80, !!!!!! DO THIS MOD !!!!!!
The cost of the Pan, Filter and gasket is not much more than the cost of the fluid and or labor, but it makes a HUGE difference.
Probably one of the best bang for buck mods out there for us Slushbox owners !!!!

Thanks again Pirate !!!!

A big thanks to Pirate for bringing this mod to our attention, and for getting PACE in on the action to supply these kits to people living outside of America.

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
Sorry, haven't read the entire thread but I'm looking at getting the transmission oil changed in the next week and could be interested in this mod as I've noticed as I come up to roundabouts and without coming to a complete stop, as I put my foot down to accelerate through, the transmission seems "lost" and I end up in a gear too low.

Whereabouts can I get all the associated bits to do the deep-pan conversion?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Sorry, haven't read the entire thread but I'm looking at getting the transmission oil changed in the next week and could be interested in this mod as I've noticed as I come up to roundabouts and without coming to a complete stop, as I put my foot down to accelerate through, the transmission seems "lost" and I end up in a gear too low.

Whereabouts can I get all the associated bits to do the deep-pan conversion?

I have this mod but i still get the issue you are talking about, when i come to a near stop but not completely stopped the gearbox flares slightly before selecting first gear when second gear would have been fine.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Read the thread turbo the link to the items on the pace website are buried in there. Must say again how much this mod changes the transmission... a huge difference. Best money spent thus far.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
I recently ordered my kit - all genuine gm parts - $154.88 delivered - took around 10 days to come, which was a pleasant surprise!

Picked up 20l of Dex 6 for $144 - now just gotta find the time to do mine & the mrs car

Checked with holden regarding the wide mouth filter - $110, along with near on $70 for the gasket... Didn't even bother enquiring about the pan... The cost was already greater than what it was going to cost for the pace kit, inc delivery!

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Fitted mine over the weekend with a mate and so far gear changes seem a little better and smoother with no big flares yet. Have had 2 very small/minor ones but hardly noticeable. For the money I'm happy :)
Will see how it goes, as when I had my 3000rpm converter fitted the flaring went away for a little while but came back so hoping its not the same again.

Pic of the 2 side by side, didn't get any of it on the car but still have plenty of clearance.

Attachments

• IMAG0552.jpg
    IMAG0552.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 594

bkvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportwagon
Can you send me a link where to order this kit ? I want one ! Lol.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Here is a link to the Kit from Pace.
GMP-24250062 - Camaro Transmission Pan Kit with Wide Mouth Filter 6L80.

Note, do not order directly from the website, as it does not support shipping to Oz. (You will need to email them with you address for a shipping quote).

And here is a guide on how to perform the upgrade.
www.carmodder.com • Deep Pan 6L80 Transmission Mod for the Holden VE Commodore
(Note, this is a guide only, I have tried to be as detailed as possible with the information presented on there, however if you are not confident performing such tasks on your car, I would suggest taking your car to a mechanic to perform this mod).

As a side note, Ive been running this mod now for a couple of weeks. I think I need to check / top up the fluid level as the transmission is still playing up a little bit when not up to temperature.
(I have noticed under very harsh braking - stopping, the transmission will slip in to neutral for a split second when the car has stopped.
(I.E. The car comes to a stop, and then a split second later, its like placing the transmission back into drive, you notice the car lurching forwards).

I performed the transmission fluid fill part to the letter in the workshop manual, however the constant stream fluid check is very open to interpretation.
When I originally drained my transmission fluid, it certainly wasnt just a constant trickle coming out from the check plug.
(It was more like a constant stream for around 750ml to 1L), so I am going to try and add another 500mml to see if this helps.

If you are looking at a transmission fluid change, then I would HIGHLY recommend this mod !