Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

deep trans pan

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If I install a deep pan at some point will I need a longer pick up as well? My thinking is no as the oil is still always going to be covering the pick up as long as I maintain the level on the original dip stick but I could be wrong? I like the idea of a drain hole that I can drop the fluid every 20k and then get a service done every 40k and use synthetic fluid like the trans tech used last time he did the service. I want to try and clear out as much DX3 as I can so that it is pretty much running just the syn gear but that will take a few dumps of the oil to get it there.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I can't see any reason why the original dipstick can't be used after all the full level point doesn't change, just the area under it has.

I'm waiting on a TCI alloy deep pan to arrive for the missus L67 ATM but it seems to have been stuck at NZ customs for 7 days now :(

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They come with spacer for the filter to solve that issue & yeah they're submerged.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You can also get deep pan filters for the 4L60e

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks gtrboyy and immortality

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
ey come with spacer for the filter to solve that issue & yeah they're submerged.

OK, that is an interesting comment.
The deeper pan is to increase the transmission oil capacity and it still does because while the pickup is in the same position, the oil mixes in the pan.
When I was putting the filter (with pickup) in I considered "what if it was mounted lower", but the inlet tube wants to go all the way in. Hanging it out lower seemed a bit loose to me. Putting a spacer on would not stop it being loose. I was concerned it would fall out into the deep pan.
If there is an advantage to mounting the pickup lower, so it is submerged lower than standard, I would want a proper spacer to extend the tube and some legs to place under the filter so it doesn't fall lower.

Is there an advantage in having a deep pan and mounting the filter lower?

Mine is just fitted in the normal position. Nothing else different between the VS and VT&VX the pan just gives more space under the filter and it isn't that much space.

Compare VS to VT&VX, probably 1.2cm

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was hoping i could leave everything as is but just fit the new pan. I mainly want the deeper pan for the drain plug. So i can drop the oil myself and then get it properly serviced as needed.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Possibly the fluid near the bottom of the pan would be marginally cooler. Lower also reduces chance of sucking air during fluid surge under heavy braking or acceleration.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, transmission guy , when he rebuilt mine put a deep pan on , I didn't ask wether he changed anything else, I'll have to when it gets its first service ,although that will be quite a while ( at least 3 or 4 months and that's if maloo decides to be reliable this year). I interpreted that he put a deeper pan on to increase trans fluid capacity to help fluids and auto to run cooler

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Helps with flaring aswell I`m told.