Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defect for exhaust?

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Just been reading over various posts and threads/topics, and I've began to wonder (after the exact same thing being said about VN's in completely different topics) whether what I plan to do the the VN with my Tax money will get me a defect or not.
The plan is to get a put on a CAI, a K&N High Flow panel filter, and go with a Lukey 2.5'' Catback Exhaust System and a tip on the end.

Being a P plater, would these mods get me defected?
I don't plan to upgrade extractors or the cat, just do as what's been said above

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Regardless of whether you are a P plater or not and what ever you do to the car, it will come down to the police officer's opinion on what is defectable. If he/she thinks that something on the car is not roadworthy or legal, he/she will slap you with a defect.

As long as the system has two mufflers and it is under the noise levels for the year of the vehicle, then it is legal.

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Thanks for that, living in the country, the younger blokes here have ridiculously low & loud cars but being only 2 police officers, they seem to not care and drive behind and past them daily, as long as your not causing rucus it's fine... Thanks for the confirmation, lets just hope city trips are a winner!

ice_cold17

Ice Cold
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Executive S2
well while i was on my Ps i owned a little honda and i had a high flow 100 cell racing cat with a 2.5 inch system and a cannon,i reached 116 decibels from the tip,that is of course a defect,so i put an extra muffler in and it was fine,my VN now has basically the same setup u want but i put a high flow cat in and no cannon,and i have never been pulled over for it,with your cold air intake as long as your filter is covered then you should be fine unless a cop is having a real bad day,just make sure everything is properly fitted and covered and you will never have to worry,also at the end of the day,the cop can issue a defect but when you get it cleared the mechanic or whatever is the one to say its ok,so its not always going to end up with u getting done. also if you do decide to lower it aswell there is a height limit.

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
I'm planning to go Super lows in the rear + some Monroe GT Lowered shocks just to bring it down in the ass that little bit as that's the look I like, I put Ultra Lows in my last VN wagon and got done, so shant go that low again, as good as it did look >.> But thanks for the heads up!

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I have been told by a few cop mates that vn's are cop bait.. I used to have a vn berlina v6 which had a 2.5 inch system and was pulled over at least 2 times a year.. Now I have v8 and 2.5 system and yet to be pulls over. The v6 are more drone sounding too.. Get 2 mufflers for sure mate..