Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defect virgin - advice please

Wotdogx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hey all,

Last week I got my pride and joy defected. Was sitting in a car park just about to get out, cop pulls up to me

'can you start it up for us mate'
(mind you it is an underground carpark)
he then proceeds to open the door and rev it and says
'thats a bit loud mate dont you think'

Now I've got a regency defect on my hands for 'too loud check levels' the car is running a VCM 480 cam as well so she's pretty lumpy.

Questions:

I've just spent $700 for a single system (very restrictive, still got pacemaker extractors on) am I able to turn up the idle so it's not as choppy and maybe have a shot at being passed?

VCM OTR, Is it legal as long as I have the MAF dummy plugged in?

Trans cooler, couldnt find anything on this, legal or no?

I'd like to know if you guys think the car is too low at the back as well, only running SSL in the rear

Car is in immaculate condition inside an out, my first defect and spent close to $15k in mods to get it to where it is, forged bottom end, stall, trans etc. Not wanting to spend a crazy amount to try and get it through.

Attached below is a video of the car as is only thing that has changed is the exhaust and is currently very quiet. (Video is unlisted so it is NOT there for me to chase clout on)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Video doesn't sound that loud, I presume it gets lots noisier as you rev it?
It looks very unassuming, they must have followed you in there after hearing it.

I'm not sure what dBa the SA noise limit is? It must be at a specific rpm.
Take a look at the specs for each of the items you mention, like ride height, and see if you are close.

OTR you could swap out for the defect inspection.
Trans cooler should be OK?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
That's a crock of shite. No way anyone could make an accurate assessment of how loud is too loud, in an underground car park.
Might have been worth taking the car over the pits to get a proper db assessment of your exhaust noise levels before doing anything else.

As far as I know, proper noise level tests must be performed in open spaces at 2000rpm for x amount of time with the testing equipment microphones positioned at specific distances from and angles to the exhaust outlet/s.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’d assume that if it was too low they probably would have defected you for that as well? Pretty sure the minimum is 10cms.

The machinery is probably going to test emissions too so you might have to convert it back to MAF to pass the test. Whoever does the retune should be able to answer that for you.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That's a crock of shite. No way anyone could make an accurate assessment of how loud is too loud, in an underground car park.
Might have been worth taking the car over the pits to get a proper db assessment of your exhaust noise levels before doing anything else.

As far as I know, proper noise level tests must be performed in open spaces at 2000rpm for x amount of time with the testing equipment microphones positioned at specific distances from and angles to the exhaust outlet/s.
True but unfortunately coppers don’t have to prove shite. They just issue you with a ticket and then it’s your job and expense to prove them wrong!

I remember the days here in Queensland when only inspectors from the transport department could issue machinery tickets. At least they knew their shite and if you got a ticket it was for a reason. Now you’ve got cops who know absolutely nothing about cars just throwing machinery tickets around if they don’t like you!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
True but unfortunately coppers don’t have to prove shite. They just issue you with a ticket and then it’s your job and expense to prove them wrong!

I remember the days here in Queensland when only inspectors from the transport department could issue machinery tickets. At least they knew their shite and if you got a ticket it was for a reason. Now you’ve got cops who know absolutely nothing about cars just throwing machinery tickets around if they don’t like you!

Strange...I lived in Bundaberg QLD back in the late 90's and the local coppers sent me for a machinery examination....

From memory if they found 3 defects or a major defect it was an option for the coppers to order the machinery inspection....They also had the option to hand you an on the spot fine as well, but we won't get into that...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sitting in a car, coppers roll up and ask you to start it and rev it....Seems suss to me pal....

Cops can be asswipes but they don't just pull up and ask for that random stuff, so perhaps tell us what really happened...

First, the cam....Out it comes...From what I'm aware of, it must have a stock cam....If Regency hear it lumping over and they will, they won't pass it..

Height....Get onto Regency and get their minimum heights for your car...That way you'll know whether it is legal or not.

Trans cooler...Can't see a problem with that...

The VCM OTR...Not sure..I would strongly recommend getting onto Regency about that.....Every man and his dog on here will say yes and no, but at the end of the day, Regency Park has the final say, so get the information in writing from them and you can't go wrong....They have modification bulletins coming out their ying yang that covers all this stuff...So go knock on their door and ask...

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ok before all the east coasters give you the wrong idea on passing a defect inspection. Being in SA you have some of the toughest compliance regulations you'll need to meet, and one of the strictest inspection processes in the whole country.
Unlike Vic/NSW where the main focus is safety not so much modifications, SA's inspections main focus is anything modified from stock on the vehicle. Hence why in SA you see 30 year old lasers with rust and bald tyres happily drive around while the inspection stations are filled with modified cars.

In SA if you check the DPTI website ANY induction modifications are illegal, which includes camshafts, intake manifolds etc and I'd say the OTR will probably fall under that too if it's MAF-less then your in even more trouble as that can't be removed.

The exhaust must retain the same amount of mufflers as it came with and meet the db requriements which in SA is 90db at 3000RPM which not many aftermarket systems will pass unless it's got very very good mufflers. Better to just buy a stock system off marketplace to pass with theres heaps around.
To put it in perspective even an off the shelf $200 redback 2.5" catback on a stock V6 will be more than 90db at 3000RPM, remember they don't measure this at idle.

You'll need at least 200 cell catalytic converters to comply too but safer to use the stock ones. The pacemakers are allowed and will comply.

If your tint is less than 30% you'll need to get that removed because they will test it.

Regency will go over EVERY nut and bolt and bush on that car not just what you were defected for so ensure theres no worn bushes, no oil leaks (Even the typical minor rear seal weap on an LS will fail immediately).

Basically the car must be perfect to pass. So take your time and don't try and rush it to get it off defect.

Our inspections aren't like the roadworthy certificate inspections in Vic, NSW etc. Ours are done by government inspection centres meaning that any aftermarket modifications that you've done to the car that doesn't meet DPTI's rules will be failed.

I've seen people in SA double defected for low windscreen washer fluid when trying to go through inspection , thats how prepared you need to be for this inspection. If you fail, they'll put a second defect sticker on the window and you'll have to book another inspection and pay again.

Another big one is seatbelts, they all must instantly retract and must not have slop or have any resistence when retracting.

I'm not trying to scare you I'm just telling you how it is. This will be an expensive excersize. And if you try and hide things they'll find it, they are very good at what they do. They know all the tricks for hiding cam lope like upping the idle etc, they'll know that it's idling higher than it should be and get suspicious, they've seen it all.

From experience SL's are a no go with regency in commodores so you've got no hope with SSL's, grab a set of stock or FE2 springs off marketplace. SA doesn't just use the 10cm rule like the eastern states, you need to meet the correct eyebrow height from the centre of the wheel to the guard as well.

General rule of thumb for SA is keep it stock for any inspections, most modifications here if you read into DPTI regulations aren't legal or have some sort of loopholes that makes them illegal in one way or another.

Reference to DPTI, no camshaft no matter how mild is legal other than the stock one fitted to the engine.
7qadUAm.png

Isn't SA great!

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Ok before all the east coasters give you the wrong idea on passing a defect inspection. Being in SA you have some of the toughest compliance regulations you'll need to meet, and one of the strictest inspection processes in the whole country.
Unlike Vic/NSW where the main focus is safety not so much modifications, SA's inspections main focus is anything modified from stock on the vehicle. Hence why in SA you see 30 year old lasers with rust and bald tyres happily drive around while the inspection stations are filled with modified cars.

In SA if you check the DPTI website ANY induction modifications are illegal, which includes camshafts, intake manifolds etc and I'd say the OTR will probably fall under that too if it's MAF-less then your in even more trouble as that can't be removed.

The exhaust must retain the same amount of mufflers as it came with and meet the db requriements which in SA is 90db at 3000RPM which not many aftermarket systems will pass unless it's got very very good mufflers. Better to just buy a stock system off marketplace to pass with theres heaps around.
To put it in perspective even an off the shelf $200 redback 2.5" catback on a stock V6 will be more than 90db at 3000RPM, remember they don't measure this at idle.

You'll need at least 200 cell catalytic converters to comply too but safer to use the stock ones. The pacemakers are allowed and will comply.

If your tint is less than 30% you'll need to get that removed because they will test it.

Regency will go over EVERY nut and bolt and bush on that car not just what you were defected for so ensure theres no worn bushes, no oil leaks (Even the typical minor rear seal weap on an LS will fail immediately).

Basically the car must be perfect to pass. So take your time and don't try and rush it to get it off defect.

Our inspections aren't like the roadworthy certificate inspections in Vic, NSW etc. Ours are done by government inspection centres meaning that any aftermarket modifications that you've done to the car that doesn't meet DPTI's rules will be failed.

I've seen people in SA double defected for low windscreen washer fluid when trying to go through inspection , thats how prepared you need to be for this inspection. If you fail, they'll put a second defect sticker on the window and you'll have to book another inspection and pay again.

Another big one is seatbelts, they all must instantly retract and must not have slop or have any resistence when retracting.

I'm not trying to scare you I'm just telling you how it is. This will be an expensive excersize. And if you try and hide things they'll find it, they are very good at what they do. They know all the tricks for hiding cam lope like upping the idle etc, they'll know that it's idling higher than it should be and get suspicious, they've seen it all.

From experience SL's are a no go with regency in commodores so you've got no hope with SSL's, grab a set of stock or FE2 springs off marketplace. SA doesn't just use the 10cm rule like the eastern states, you need to meet the correct eyebrow height from the centre of the wheel to the guard as well.

General rule of thumb for SA is keep it stock for any inspections, most modifications here if you read into DPTI regulations aren't legal or have some sort of loopholes that makes them illegal in one way or another.

Reference to DPTI, no camshaft no matter how mild is legal other than the stock one fitted to the engine.
7qadUAm.png

Isn't SA great!
So that's the real reason tens of thousands of people are flocking to Queensland