Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defect virgin - advice please

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Of course you play by their rules, that's my point.

They must have rules and can't be a law unto themselves. If you get a defect at inspection, for something that clearly complies with the rules they've set, then ppeople should report this maleficence up the chain via the appeals process. And later via the state ombudsman if those who do such shitfuckery simply circle their wagons.

That's what the state ombudsman is for and if they get lots of complaints they will investigate such maleficence rather closely. If the ombudsman finds real shitfuckery going on, they'll act appropriately and within their brief. Sadly such things can and do move very slowly, even slower now the S.A. government seems to have hobbled those who investigate corruption. But working around such shitfuckery and playing by their seemingly fluid twisted rule altering game isn't the way to improve on anything...

If the underlying issue is lots of borderline mods exist on one's vehicle and that they are suspect, then I can understand the attitude is don't rock the boat. But by all accounts it seems that such can't be the case as what's being said is they fail legit mods so any ideas of sneaking boarderline stuff through seems misguided. Not rocking the boat just doesn't make sence if legit mods are canned...

A half full washer bottle resulting in a Regency fail, or a plumbed catch can resulting in a fail isn't them playing by their own rules so I'd want some justification of their decisions via updated modification docs that reflect such requirements, else the vehicle should be passed.

Guess I'm really glad I don't live in the city of churches :p:p:p Just hope that sort of religious ferver seen at Regency doesn't spread to other state registration autorities around the country, else the rest of us will also be fooked :eek:
Gook luck.......;);););)

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

They must have rules and can't be a law unto themselves. If you get a defect at inspection, for something that clearly complies with the rules they've set, then ppeople should report this maleficence up the chain via the appeals process. And later via the state ombudsman if those who do such shitfuckery simply circle their wagons.

That's what the state ombudsman is for and if they get lots of complaints they will investigate such maleficence rather closely. If the ombudsman finds real shitfuckery going on, they'll act appropriately and within their brief. Sadly such things can and do move very slowly, even slower now the S.A. government seems to have hobbled those who investigate corruption. But working around such shitfuckery and playing by their seemingly fluid twisted rule altering game isn't the way to improve on anything...

If the underlying issue is lots of borderline mods exist on one's vehicle and that they are suspect, then I can understand the attitude is don't rock the boat. But by all accounts it seems that such can't be the case as what's being said is they fail legit mods so any ideas of sneaking boarderline stuff through seems misguided. Not rocking the boat just doesn't make sence if legit mods are canned...

A half full washer bottle resulting in a Regency fail, or a plumbed catch can resulting in a fail isn't them playing by their own rules so I'd want some justification of their decisions via updated modification docs that reflect such requirements, else the vehicle should be passed.

Guess I'm really glad I don't live in the city of churches :p:p:p Just hope that sort of religious ferver seen at Regency doesn't spread to other state registration autorities around the country, else the rest of us will also be fooked :eek:
Do you want to be driving your car today or in 5 years time after all court time as well as solicitor fees. F#ck life is hard enough as is. Just play the their game & be driving today. :)

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don’t ever remember reading anything about windscreen washer fluid levels even being a roadworthy item. I’ve only read that windscreen washers systems must work… In fact S.A own roadworthy doc i linked in my last post states:

Electrical systems​
  • horn, windscreen wipers and washers in good working condition.
The only think to debate is whether it’s in good working condition, and low fluid level in isolation can’t be used for that determination.

As I’ve said before, in much of Europe, at your yearly roadworthy checkup, the government authorities doing the checks actually adjust your headlights (if needed) and top up washer fluid (if needed) as part of their tasks during this yearly mandated checks… after all, a washer bottle needs to be full to determine if it is leaking from a split and one cant assume the bottle is split simply because it isn’t full… which is why they fill it up and check towards the end of the inspection… Seems Regency are just a pack on cnuts in comparison :mad:

In any case, if Regency do such shitfuckery and that was the only outstanding defect, if it can even be called that, why wouldn’t the vehicle owners go through the dispute process and get the supervisor involved and if that brings no joy then go through the formal appeals process? next a complaint to the state ombudsman… Gotta stand up to bullies really, and Regency does sound like a bully. It’s either that or bend over and take it :(

I have personally been through and cleared a Regency defect....I had an issue with a floor inspector and yes I went above that twits head because of it, to the head inspector, which resulted in the floor inspector telling his bum chums and creating a whole lot more issues, which cost me more money....

ie, an alledged cracked chassis rail, which meant a full chassis rail replacement....I even got the place to write a report stating the rail was perfectly fit for service, but the inspectors flately refused to accept that report...They insisted the rail be replaced or the defect wouldn't be cleared....

So yes you can whinge and whine all you like...You might have a half win, but they will have the final win, via your hip pocket...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I used to do alignment reports for economic write off vehicles.....These basically showed the suspension was within specs specified by the manufacturer...

The problem with these is, the computer program for these alignment machines are done by humans and it only takes one miss type on the program to have a really bad spec...This spec can result in real life, a car driving like real shite, scrub tyres out quicker than a prostitute going through frangers....

Numerous times, myself and my boss spoke to the knobheads at Regency park, because they failed a car for the car being out of spec by .001 of a MM on something as simple as toe or because the factory spec was so outrageous, it was beyond belief...But they stuck to their "rules" and didn't use common sense, therefore failed the car.

Yeah, sure my boss, myself or the owner of the car could have attempted to take the argument further, but they had their rules to run with and wouldn't budge....

My solution in the end was, set the car so it would drive nicely, look after the tyres, then fudge the figures so it met their requirements....IMA, if it was absolutely shocking, the owner would be told to go away and fix it....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Does this mean that you can not own a modified car in SA or is it a case of hoping not to get caught. If this is correct what a stink place to live.

You can own a modified car in this state....Just like QLD, you have to get all the necessary approvals to make them all legal....

The problem is, S.A doesn't have any regular inspections...ie, for rego transfers or alikes....So people tend to modify willy nilly,, hoping they don't piss a copper off, so they go through their car and find these illegal modifications....

And yes, it's when you have a bad attitude, or find someway of drawing attention to yourself, that's when a copper will find defects and send for a full inspection, very much like your machinery inspection.

In the case of the OP, he admitted he had dump pipes...He was in an underground carpark...These 2 things is what would have drawn the coppers attention....If they had been out in the open, a full exhaust system, I could almost guarantee the coppers wouldn't have given a 2nd glance and this thread wouldn't exist...

Otherwise, coppers tend to do their regular thing of randomly pulling you over for a breatho/drug test and licence check and sending you on your merry way...

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You can own a modified car in this state....Just like QLD, you have to get all the necessary approvals to make them all legal....

The biggest problem we have unlike QLD is you can't just simply get your blower, or turbo, or cam mod plated like you can in QLD. It's not a matter of cost, if I had to pay $1000 odd for a mod plate for my cam I'd do it in a heart beat but such a thing doesn't exist here.

That doesn't stop any of us doing modifications, it just means you pay a higher price when you get caught.

You can go through full vehicle engineering here but it's such a process you are likely to sink $10k into the engineering process before you even get it inspected. And when it does get engineered and pass inspection, the cops are still able to defect you for your cam, turbo etc even if you have the engineering certificate on you to show them as they just see modifications and do the "we aren't mechanics" speech.

It's then up to you to go back to regency and start all over again to prove that it's still within the grounds of that engineers certificate.

I've had mates that have spent $15k on engineering for something as simple as a sidemount supercharger and still got defected, had to book it in, take time off work, go through the process etc.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The biggest problem we have unlike QLD is you can't just simply get your blower, or turbo, or cam mod plated like you can in QLD. It's not a matter of cost, if I had to pay $1000 odd for a mod plate for my cam I'd do it in a heart beat but such a thing doesn't exist here.

That doesn't stop any of us doing modifications, it just means you pay a higher price when you get caught.

You can go through full vehicle engineering here but it's such a process you are likely to sink $10k into the engineering process before you even get it inspected. And when it does get engineered and pass inspection, the cops are still able to defect you for your cam, turbo etc even if you have the engineering certificate on you to show them as they just see modifications and do the "we aren't mechanics" speech.

It's then up to you to go back to regency and start all over again to prove that it's still within the grounds of that engineers certificate.

I've had mates that have spent $15k on engineering for something as simple as a sidemount supercharger and still got defected, had to book it in, take time off work, go through the process etc.

I've heard both lots of stories....The one you wrote and the opposite where the coppers have defected for mods like this, only to have the defect ripped up at no cost to the owner....

One particular person I met had the first legally registered big block Valiant in S.A....The cops slapped the car with a defect because of the big block, only to have that defect ripped up.....How he got it ripped up, I'll never know, but I have no doubts over it as I new the car very very well....Saw it defected one day and the very next day, no defect and him no lighter in the wallet

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have four mod plates on my car. One for the car being a private import, one for when I first registered it in Aus as it was NZ assembled, one for the brakes and one for the seats. The seats are the latest addition as they can take away my club rego if I am defected. I understand that the rules in NZ have changed but one of the first mods was to take off the cats. It was legal at the time. What that meant for me was when I had the engine put in I didn't put cats on it. Being a private import to Aus I didn't have to have them on the car neither did it have a narrow neck fuel filter or a charcoal canister. They have all been fitted since that time. However an identical car that was modified the same as mine would face a huge fine for not having a cat fitted whereas mine was legal. The law is an ass as Dickens said in Oliver twist.

Last edited: