Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defected for no muffler

Tayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim SII
As I was driving home, I got pulled over by an unmarked police officer, and he told me I didn’t have a muffler on my exhaust (I had no idea).

I got a minor defect notice for having no rear resonator, and have 10 days to fix the thing before I get in trouble.

My partner says I have a Catback exhaust (no idea exact make), would that make it harder to find the part I need within that time frame, and to have it fitted on? He has a vy commodore ute that he is wrecking, would the muffler from that be okay to put on and pass the check?

I would like to do it as cheap as possible, and preferably have my partner fix it as he is handy with commodores.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just about all brand cat backs are different and parts are not interchangeable.

The ute rear muffler will not fit a sedan. Your best bet is to take it to an exhaust shop to get a resonator welded in.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
i find it hard to believe that its illegal unless u dont have a centre muffler too

about a quarter of all commodores wouldnt have a rear muffler

id be ringing around first before you go buying anything

maybe u have a hole in your exhaust pipe making it even louder, but isnt it based on decibels

the cop possibly being a tosser to you

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Just about all brand cat backs are different and parts are not interchangeable.

The ute rear muffler will not fit a sedan. Your best bet is to take it to an exhaust shop to get a resonator welded in.

Follow this advice and you will be OK.
This gentleman knows what he is talking about.

A reputable exhaust shop will ensure your system is legal when you drive out.

Your car will be going through a careful inspection now so you want to make sure the entire exhaust system on the vehicle is 100% compliant or they won't pass you.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
As I was driving home, I got pulled over by an unmarked police officer, and he told me I didn’t have a muffler on my exhaust (I had no idea).

I got a minor defect notice for having no rear resonator, and have 10 days to fix the thing before I get in trouble.

Any advice will be appreciated!

probably some criminal knocking the house off next to where he pulled you over but our police are upholding the law and prefer to take the easy mark

Ive never had a rear resonator ever on my car ...just have to be careful to not accelerate too hard as its a little noisy but really ..isnt there something more important things they could be doing than pulling over honest people ...especially a ninja cop

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The regulation is that the exhaust must retain the same amount of silencers as factory AS WELL AS being under the noise limit. It can be under the limit with one muffler but if it had 2 from factory, it must have 2 on an aftermarket replacement. Silly regulation, but it's there. Even just a hotdog counts as a "silencer" so that's all you need. Just bad luck you were pulled over.