Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Delco or Haltech for L67?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I've read that MAFs run out of resolution with increased boost

MACE sell higher resolution MAFs that work with the factory V6 setup, not sure how good they are or what you need to do (if anything) to get them to work, but stock MAFs running out of resolution is a common issue in the tuning world - really common for everything in Nissan land to run Z32 or R35 MAFs which are easily configurable in something that modifies the factory ECU like NisTune, not so much for the Commo world. Usually it's a fairly simple exercise where you just adapt the MAF to your loom and change the MAF scaling in whatever your using, even some factory modified ECUs, but you know, Commodore.

If you go down the path of an aftermarket ECU I would also highly recommend looking at Adaptronic Modular ECUs. I personally know people that run these and they have a lot of features (onboard oscilloscope and other cool stuff) and development behind them, the cold start ability of these alone makes them worth a serious look. Fairly sure they're owned by Haltech now so the long term support is there, and the ECU designer Andy is in Sydney and has offered onsite support on the dyno before.

Last edited:

Vyute78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8 auto
I have been to the PCM Hacking forum with little success. A fellow posted his efforts at sorting out the idle issue that occurs when mating a manual gearbox to an L67. He'd changed the spark timing at low rpms and said it made a huge difference. I thought about doing that but go cold feet since I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!

I'm also a member of a Facebook group for L67s set up by Brushworks Slick Sixes - "L67 and Turbo V6s Australia'. That's where I learned that a lot of people get the idle issue. Some just wind the throttle stop out a bit and that keeps the butterfly open just enough to prevent the engine stalling. I tried that and it worked but was not tolerant to hot starts when the engine would idle too high.

I also want to increase the boost and I understand that mafless tuning is the preferred method due to the MAF running out of resolution at very high airflow. A recent comment I received on the Facebook group was that there is no mafless tune available for TunerPro RT. I was told that if I wanted mafless and to keep the Delco, I'd have to find a tuner that used Kalmaker. I wonder how many of those there are left and how much support they get from Mr Kalmaker. His website is full of broken links and doesn't seem to be updated very often...

I've been watching supermang with great interest and had noted that they were planning to go Haltech. Al from The Skid Factory made a comment about tuning the Delco and said he didn't know how people did it, but good on them for giving it a go. That made me think that tuning the Delco is a dark art and perhaps left to wizards or those with supernatural powers.

All in all, I'm tending to go Haltech but need the funds - same boat we're all in, I guess.

basil brushwork slick 6s is alleged tuner that is one of the best in the country using Kalmaker

ive heard nothing g but great stuff

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
DEM Automotive in cairns do kalmaker too. He put a l67 tune in my N/A vt in prep for a side mount blower motor to be fitted. Just wired up a map sensor.
Modified tune to suit map sensor and N/A injector size so i can keep driving it until the new engine is ready. Also increased oil pressure in the trans for firmer shifts.
Would be worth giving him a call.

Attachments

• 20201230_114943.jpg
    20201230_114943.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 20201230_114919.jpg
    20201230_114919.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 276