Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Delco tuners in Sydney

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Although this is an old tread I still think it's relevant for today. I have used one of the above tuners for my car. I won't name drop but I must say I was deeply disappointed by the result and I now know i was totally ripped off!! I had done some mods to my 5L such as a S/C and other components to suit. I left my car with the tuner for the whole weekend and paid an absolute fortune . The end result was a car that felt like it was still stock, hard to start at running temps, and running way too rich.

I had fitted an NVRAM bought from Delcohacking.com and had the Enhanced tune burnt to it to allow for a bigger Maf etc. All he had to do was fine tune it using Tuner Pro software. I now seriously doubt that he has much experience using Tuner Pro. I've no doubt that he is a really good tuner using EFIlive software and other mainstream O/S.

Now I'm slowly learning how to tune my car using Tuner Pro and with big help from the really talented people on Delcohacking forum. I can now see and understand what all the tables mean and need to be set to. I could see that the tuner in question hadn't changed much and changed some timing tables. In fact took out way too much timing where the car wouldn't do anything when coming into to boost as he ripped the timing out resulting in no power gains at all.

Now, after doing my first test tune I instantly noticed huge power gains. The car actually feels so much more powerful and is much happier than it's ever been since the mods. I have still much more work on the tune but I am much more satisfied and I am starting to really enjoy tuning myself. I have fixed the hot start issue which was a simple fix that it confirms my suspicions about the tuner i used.

If you are going to get your car tuned (after doing some mods), do some real research on who will tune your car. See if they have good reviews and have had good results for your type of car/engine/mods. Find out what software they use etc.

Otherwise, take the next step and the most satisfying by learning how to do it yourself. There are plenty of "How to " on Youtube etc, and if yours is a Holden Commo then there is crap loads of info on here and Delcohacking and plenty of knowledgeable people who can help point you in the right direction.

Don't get ripped off like I did.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thanks for the review @Forcedvp
I am not in Sydney so have no idea of reviews if it is the recommendation I made.

But definitely a vote for NVRAM and self tuning.
I'm working through 11p on my stroker, and updated the 12p histogram to suit 11p and shared with everyone.
What are you tuning with? You mentioned MAF so I assume VT ECU?

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Thanks for the review @Forcedvp
I am not in Sydney so have no idea of reviews if it is the recommendation I made.

But definitely a vote for NVRAM and self tuning.
I'm working through 11p on my stroker, and updated the 12p histogram to suit 11p and shared with everyone.
What are you tuning with? You mentioned MAF so I assume VT ECU?
Hi Mate. Merry Christmas. Yeah i'm tuning with $A6 Enhanced from The1 and getting some good results with my S/C 5L. It hasn't been easy although not too hard, as there is not a great deal of info on the Maf based 5L compared to the Map based 5L's like 12p. But more than enough to get me going and some great help from people on the forum. People like yourself who are willing to share info to help others. Once I'm happy with the tune, I will be posting the tune on the forum to help anyone who has a similar set up. I wish I went the stroker route as you did. How's it going?

The Tuner in question was highly recommended and I had seen a lot of his work. I was fortunate( at the time) that he only lives 5mins away. I just don't think he is familiar enough with TP. But gladly took my hard earned cash. I can only thank him for doing such a poor job that it motivated me to learn how to do it myself.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi Mate. Merry Christmas. Yeah i'm tuning with $A6 Enhanced from The1 and getting some good results with my S/C 5L. It hasn't been easy although not too hard, as there is not a great deal of info on the Maf based 5L compared to the Map based 5L's like 12p. But more than enough to get me going and some great help from people on the forum. People like yourself who are willing to share info to help others. Once I'm happy with the tune, I will be posting the tune on the forum to help anyone who has a similar set up. I wish I went the stroker route as you did. How's it going?

The Tuner in question was highly recommended and I had seen a lot of his work. I was fortunate( at the time) that he only lives 5mins away. I just don't think he is familiar enough with TP. But gladly took my hard earned cash. I can only thank him for doing such a poor job that it motivated me to learn how to do it myself.
Not defending the guy (as I don't know him, but do know he won't share any info for free - yes I saw the other thread you posted in).
But maybe he does MAP well and struggles with MAF? Or the forced induction threw him off. No excuse for a full price poor tune though.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I certainly had an iffy experience with a well known delco tuner too in that area - wouldn’t waste the cash again.

Also ended up going NVRam myself with maf 304 in the end.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
***I have used one of the above tuners for my car. I won't name drop***

***do some real research on who will tune your car.***

***Don't get ripped off like I did.***

If you don't put up who done your tune, how can people research like you said? If old mate has done a **** tune, wont or can't fix it, put it out there so other people who may not be in the know don't get burnt.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think I know who you are referring too.. I did hear he has stuffed a few tunes over the last six or so maybe 12 months. I've only heard, so it's hearsay so won't say who I heard about. But happy to confirm if it's the same bloke.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hahahaha, I think the bloke I heard about and yours are one and the same.
I've found that anything Holden with a V8 takes a special person to get it right. There are many a tuner in Victoria and NSW that are not able to tune an LS either, so it's not just the old stuff.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Isn't it sad that the tuning knowledge in the industry seems to be getting worse and not better as you would expect with time and experience.