Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Demise of the Forum?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I agree on the Facebook thing taking over forums.
I belonged, and still do belong to a very strong Jet Ski forum from back to 15 years ago and there were hundreds of members. Not anymore.
Many come and go and drop out, but most of the younger guys & gals now seem to use Facebook.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Some forums are still pretty active but as others have said lots of the traffic has gone to Facebook apparently. I wouldn't know as I'm one if there's not to be on it.

I guess the other thing is with new release cars the forums are popular as there is lots to discover.

The forum explosion was parallel with the popularity with the LS engines and the explosion of forced induction Lots of new stuff to discover where's now most things are know

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
do chat rooms still exsist.. ???

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Argh Facebook.... The sooner more people realise life is actually BETTER without it, the better off the world will be.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I think I saw a rapid demise with the use of this forum when Tapatalk was disabled. It seemed like over night it went from 14 pages of new posts from one day to the next down to 4 or 5.

Facebook has had an impact, I see a lot of people on both though. Facebook itself will never die. It's still relatively new and not being used as a social networking tool as it was designed to be. The novelty of it still hasn't worn off and it's more a social commentary and cyber bully medium at the moment. I see less bullshit on forums because there are harsher consequences. You abuse someone on here and your stay is very short. FB on the other hand seems to be a free for all and only governed by how friendly you are with admins of a page or group.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think I saw a rapid demise with the use of this forum when Tapatalk was disabled. It seemed like over night it went from 14 pages of new posts from one day to the next down to 4 or 5.

Facebook has had an impact, I see a lot of people on both though. Facebook itself will never die. It's still relatively new and not being used as a social networking tool as it was designed to be. The novelty of it still hasn't worn off and it's more a social commentary and cyber bully medium at the moment. I see less bullshit on forums because there are harsher consequences. You abuse someone on here and your stay is very short. FB on the other hand seems to be a free for all and only governed by how friendly you are with admins of a page or group.

Exactly this and also what others mentioned

When Tapatalk was disabled (other forums were still able to use it and still do such as MCM and FordForums for example) it kinda died.
The JC App is no where near as good and couldve been good but wasnt developed.

People also search more these days also
And also a change away from forums to Facebook and Google for answers.

Is a shame

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The trouble with Facebook though is when you ask a moronic question (or legitimate) you get smart arse moronic answers. I think I see one proper response in maybe 10 stupid ones.

Just this morning I read someone asking about the power button, yes, to car enthusiasts it may be a moronic question, but this guy clearly didn't know it's purpose. I just went back and found the thread and counted 3 serious answers in 40+ replies.

Forums have a purpose, but they're being underutilized. I don't think it's quicker or easier to find answers on FB. If I want to know something I Google, and mostly, the answers are found in forums from people relating experiences or fixes to a similar issue.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Argh Facebook.... The sooner more people realise life is actually BETTER without it, the better off the world will be.

I have never been and have no desire to join Facebook , in fact I'm looking at creating a anti-social network I have called Facetube , copyright pending .