Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Demise of the Forum?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I wonder how many potential new users that might have regularly posted are put off by the over zealous search function proponents? Some of rude and or dismissive responses newer users get when asking legitimate questions has to put them off returning to make further contributions.
And when you take the search function to it's end point you would then have to shut the respond function down and make it a read only site as all questions about X Y Z cars have been asked and answered.
Just my 2 cents worth.

all forums since the beginning of time have an FAQ that says - search first. heck, people who come here to take a crap on the forum could have just gotten their answer from Google half the time.

Forums are like this by design, if they don't want to become part of the community in general the reason you mentioned wouldn't stop them coming asking 1 question and leaving.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
That's the age old catch 22...

Ask the question: "Use the search function!"

Use the search function and post in existing thread: "Don't thread dig!"

Personally, I've always thought the "use the search function" as a rule is stupid. Suggest it, but don't make it mandatory. It's a forum - where questions get asked and answered. If you see the same question a few times, you don't have to click on it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
It might be a rule but it's barely enforced - searching on many topics sees the same questions asked over and over again.

Often the answers aren't great, terrible even - but if your answer is found, great.

Thread digs are a funny one, sometimes someone will find something on Google I swear, come here and just randomly throw their 2 cents in.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
That's the age old catch 22...

Ask the question: "Use the search function!"

Use the search function and post in existing thread: "Don't thread dig!"

Personally, I've always thought the "use the search function" as a rule is stupid. Suggest it, but don't make it mandatory. It's a forum - where questions get asked and answered. If you see the same question a few times, you don't have to click on it.

Yeah agreed.

I think most of the time new members just want to get personal an communicate with the community here which is understandable.

If it is a painfully obvious or annoying question I'll try to post a few links for them instead of saying "for #### sake do a search u maka me angryyyy!!"

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
this site has a search function???

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Meh! Ive used the "use the search luke use the search" response a few times :)...its not meant to piss ppl off, its just annoying that only 10 threads below their post is another thread with the exact same query.
Forums are like any other social club or groups of like minded ppl, you have the clicky upper echelon, noobie's which always get picked on until they have earned their strip's and respect ..and the smelly middle masses, that groan and moan and wanting to be validated and verified by the upper echelon :D

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Someone raised meets and cruises about 4 pages ago. THis is a very valid point.

Victoria used to have one of the largest chapters for meets and cruises. In todays world. We just cannot do that anymore. Its so hard to just have a cruise with how much scrutiny you are under for driving a louder than stock car. Its simply not worth the hassle to be seen in a group of people. A lot of these people, have simply just moved on.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
In other words, the Nanny State - changing the way we live and enjoy our lives.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
In other words, the Nanny State - changing the way we live and enjoy our lives.

they don't call them the fun police for nothing.

but if your ride gets stolen, minimal effort finding it, if they find anything minimal effort finding the owners.

/cop bashing mode off.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Someone raised meets and cruises about 4 pages ago. THis is a very valid point.

Victoria used to have one of the largest chapters for meets and cruises. In todays world. We just cannot do that anymore. Its so hard to just have a cruise with how much scrutiny you are under for driving a louder than stock car. Its simply not worth the hassle to be seen in a group of people. A lot of these people, have simply just moved on.
I dont tend to talk politics with polite company :) but what gets me is vic put a revhead into parliament and has anything changed....nope...if anything, looking from the outside its worse.... His chances of reelection is prob the same as getting a mini moke with a blown 454 a pass over the pits :)