Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Demo vs out-the-box

Vaelen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Manual
Hi,

I noticed that there no threads discussing whether or not it's better to buy Demo or New.

I recently bought an sv6 series 2 demo and was wondering whether or not there are less issues with demo's than with new 'out-the-box' cars.

I must say, I have no rattles, squeaks or other annoying bits... And i think she had more kit than the standard version...

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Only thing i can think of is when i buy a my cars they are always new, and before we all start saying that it losses money when you drive it out of the lot. This i understand and accept.

The main reason i don't do demo's is because i know how i take the cars for a demo. Rental cars get better treatment. In saying that, you almost always get extra kit thrown in, its how they get others to option the equipment.

Dave

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Demo's are almost always driven with the salesman in the car so they aren't thrashed.

Cars can generally take just about anything you throw at them on the street so you can't really hurt them by driving them hard. Nothing wrong with a demo, just means you can buy them cheaper because the dealership wants to move them on before they clock up too many k's and they can't make as much out of them.

Vaelen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Manual
Yeah i gotta admit i'll cane a demo when i get the chance, but dont they sort out any issues that have been created by driving the car around...?

So like if there's a rattle, or a skip in the clutch etc, then they'll sort it out cos they want that car to be perfect so it can "sell" the new cars?

I am just asking cos this is the first Demo i have ever bought...

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Mine is an ex gmh car, and i haven't had any complaints.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Either way your still getting a warranty with it. As said you will often find the demo models have all the fruit to entice new buyers.

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
My ute was a demo, only had 27km on the odometer when I bought it, I havn't had any major issues with it plus I got a 6 year 200 000k warrenty.

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Nothing wrong with a demo car they still get full warranty and they can be a lot cheaper then off the floor.
But they also most likely be last year plated Model which can mean in resale they are already 12 months old. If you understand what I mean.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just about every car you buy now until the end of January will most likely be 11 plated anyway. Even if it is 12 plated, it is still 11 built. And most places don't care what the plate says, it's the MY that counts.

We came across one car that was being sold as an 11 demo, but it was an MY10 car as that particular car was discontinued in 2010. Just like another car that is an 11 plated car but it is the MY12 car.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
I've taken plenty of cars out solo. Only on a couple of occasions has the sales rep insisted in coming along. You can't trash the car like its on a race track.
Full acceleration, Hard braking, i test that when im out testing a car for the first time. Im sure its say that sort of thing should be avoided in the owner manual when new.

At the end of the day, not much should (outside of normal) go wrong with it, it just hasn't been babied.