Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Design for my air intake. Any good?

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
Well i finally ripped out my gas mixer because its a piece of it sh*t along with the converter that doesn't work, so i had to rebuild the intake. I ended up doing it like this. Just wondering if this set up is any good or if i should put it in a different orientation, and is there a way to make the ecu re-learn as i got a feeling its still set to a gas setup. Im gonna be getting a foamy tune done soon so its not too much of a necessity, mainly concerned for petrol consumption.

on a different note do a bigger MAF make an large improvement on a N/A V6?

thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 811
B

BXHD

why do people always get pod filters? dont they suck in hot air off the engine as well as some cold air? hmm. people told my bf to get a pod filter for his vl but i thought they were **** because u want cold air, not hot air...
enlighten me people :p

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
im getting a bracket for it tommorow to secure it down, and in terms of cold air... i do not know. the car had no airbox or original piping in when i got it, it had some terrible as gas set up. What do you recommend to do for the cold air?

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
You may aswell stick with your stock set up, if thats all you could come up with... back to the drawing board?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Until you put that POD filter in an enclosure its going to be sucking warm/hot air form the engine bay.

So doing more harm than good.

Once you have an enclosure for it, should be all good in terms of functionality... though still not legal probably.

Option 2 being to go to a wrecker, pull the airbox off a wreck and use that with a decent panel filter...

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
i thought about mocking up my own induction system by running a pipe from the undercarriage up to the pod (which would then be in box)

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
why do people always get pod filters? dont they suck in hot air off the engine as well as some cold air? hmm. people told my bf to get a pod filter for his vl but i thought they were **** because u want cold air, not hot air...
enlighten me people :p

A cold air intake system increases airflow by dropping the air coming into an engine to a lower temperature. Why is this important? As air gets colder, it gets denser. This means you get more oxygen within a smaller volume. More oxygen means more power. Increasing oxygen levels by this method can be found mostly in the racing industry. Many racers will dump ice on their intake manifolds and intercoolers to get a temporary increase in horsepower. Another aspect of a cold air intake system is reduced air flow resistance. All of the pipes in this system have been polished and tuned to reduce air flow resistance. This reduces unwanted turbulence within the pipes which would otherwise reduce airflow into the engine.

I swear i didnt copy and paste that :idea:

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
the original set up was the same but had the gas mixer on it and a pod with a hole in the side, i know its a terrible set up, trying to find ways of fixing it