Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Desktop and Laptops

Which Operating System do you prefer?

• Total voters

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Heya guys. Just seen the new thread about mobiles and thought id start one about computers. Personally i prefer windows over apple, but thats probably because i grew up with it. Currently got an ASUS laptop, AMD A4 CPU with Redeon HD graphics. 8 GB of ram 500GB HDD. Its got HDMI, VGA, USB 3. All the usuals.

Anyway post up your PC Specs. Lets see what runs the JC world. lol

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Frque... Where do I start...

Laptops...
Apple Macbook Pro Retina 15, running OSX mountain lion and Windows 8 (Used for iOS and Android development)
Thinkpad T43 Running Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP (My tried and true workhorse, which has never EVER let me down).
ASUS eePC (Worst keyboard ever!, kinda relegated to the misses now) running Linux Mint
ASUS (Some crappy low res screen and processor. Was given to me and is currently used for Windows 7 only stuff)

Desktops
Server, running Ubuntu Server edition, AMD 8 Core Black CPU 3.2Ghz, DDR 3 1800Mhz 16Gb Ram, 12TB Raid 4xHD
Main Desktop Machine - Ubuntu Linux and Wndows 8, Quad Core AMD64 3.0Ghz, 8Gb DDR2, Radeon 7600GT, 2TB HD
Then i have another 3 Desktops scattered around the place which are sub $400 machines.

Personally prefer Linux, then OSX (which just pips Windows 7). Windows 8 is by far and away the worse OS ever. (I only use Windows 8 for Media Center, even though MythTV is 1000% better)

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I got a
HP Pavlilion G6 laptop
It's got AMD A4-3300M APU with Radeon HD Graphics.
4GB ram(sometimes using my GF's Ram and boosting it up to 8GB) and a 500gb HDD.
Has Win7 home premium

And got a old desktop running
2.2ghz CPU, 9600gt Nvideo graphics card
2GB Ram and like 400gb HDD (cant remember)
Has Win7 Ultimate (burnt copy)

The two computers are pretty much equal, perfomance is about the same.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Lenovo G570 laptop
Upgraded from i3 to i7
16GB RAM
120GB SSD
Windows 8

Does what I need it to do plus a crap load more but its nearly a couple years old now so heading for an upgrade soon.

Does what I need it to do.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
XPS 15: Windows 7, i7 (740qm), GT 540m, 640gig HDD, 8 gig RAM.

Plays all my games, though I rarely play anymore.

Basically used for torrenting and video encoding.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
So i guess the general concensus about win 8 is that its shite? I personally have the option to upgrade for free but choose not to. Maybe the next windows will b better

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Can't stand 8, skipping it - and I've not skipped one version of Windows since using 3.11 for Workgroups, I've used them all including the unpopular ones like ME and Vista and actually liked them.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
So i guess the general concensus about win 8 is that its shite? I personally have the option to upgrade for free but choose not to. Maybe the next windows will b better

I was always of the opinion windows 8 was ****, only good for tablets etc etc then Wraith decided to use my laptop for a guinea pig to see if he wanted to do the upgrade to windows 8 on his computer. After using it for a couple of months now I can honestly say I love it and no way would I go back to windows 7. Its so much faster, visually more pleasing, its easy to use and I haven't had any issues with the fact my laptop isn't touch screen. The install finds every driver needed unlike 7 where you had to download them from the manufacturers site or use the driver discs. I am running classic shell with it too which makes a lot of difference.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Been running windows8 since launch. When used correctly it completely shits over Win7. It's the fact that people do not like change or that a lot of people use it wrong.

Your windows key is now your new best friend when it comes to windows 8.

P.s- Classic shell sux cox n' dix.

P.p.s- Why is this not posted in the "The Lan Lounge"

P.p.p.s- Why is this not posted in the "polls" section of the forum?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
i just cant let go of that little windows icon that has been with me since 3.1. and every version inbetween. right thru ME 2000 and XP. vista was bearable but 7 is the 2nd best under XP. in saying that win 8 does look more user friendly, for the basic users. However for someone with some computer training, i would have to stick to 7. Its a good OS once you can customise it