Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Destroking and Ecotec/L67?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Destroking an Ecotec/L67?

I did a search but couldn't find a dedicated thread, only a few mentions here and there so i thought i'd start a new one...

Has anyone had success with destroking an Ecotec? I'd imagine at least a few people might have done it mildly to reduce the compression ratio for forced induction, but has anyone tried it on purpose? Destroked with forced induction would be interesting given the Ecotec is all out of ideas beyond 6k

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Do you mean de stroke or de comp? Lowering compression seems to be the go with F/I.

I think heaps of people have done it during their rebuilds. Lower comp pistons and or shorter rods should do the trick nicely.

If you are specifically after shortening the stroke of the crank it will be tough. You can stroke an engine either way and still retain the same comp by choosing appropriate spec parts.

cracker

Reaction score
i wouldnt de comp or de stroke both **** ideas.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Do you mean de stroke or de comp? Lowering compression seems to be the go with F/I.
Destroke to help with higher rpm. The main thing i'm interested in, is if it would help make power to at least 7k - i'm guessing the valvetrain would have to be overhauled too? Of course you'd have to reduce the compression as well and use forced induction otherwise it's a pointless exercise - changing rods alters compression only, changing the crank alters both, correct?

I don't intend to do it, i'm just curious :D

Last edited:

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual

cracker

Reaction score
lose off power, im a big fan of compression and boost, it works well.

de stroking it..well the cubes is about the only thing the v6 has going for it over say smaller jap motors and its not going to be cheap at all

its not going to be cheap to get a v6 to turn to 7000rpm, although it would sound pretty cool, ull find a cam'd 9.5.1 10.0.1 or so v6 will rev pretty well once it gets going
mine saw 6500 few times in the wet, with out meaning too before it vavle bounced or something else cracked the shits

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Destroke to help with higher rpm. The main thing i'm interested in, is if it would help make power to at least 7k - i'm guessing the valvetrain would have to be overhauled too? Of course you'd have to reduce the compression as well and use forced induction otherwise it's a pointless exercise - changing rods alters compression only, changing the crank alters both, correct?

I don't intend to do it, i'm just curious :D

You can get power to 7000rpm on the stock stroke. You would need to think along the lines of having the lightest components possible while not compromising strength.

Titanium valve retainers, valves, not too high a lift cam with rocker ratio doing the lifting. Extensive balancing as well as flowing the heads and doing major block oiling mods are the kind of things you would need to make power to 7000rpm.

One problem.....the ecotec is a 90 degree V6 and the higher you rev it the more it will try n shake itself apart. A 60 degree like an Alloytec might be a better base for high revs IMO.

Nothing wrong with the torque of a F/I Ecotec or Buick and a little short shifting.

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
If all you want to do is rev the thing to 7k, just get it built properly. It certainly doesn't need to be de-stroked!

Mine has been stroked to 4.2L and will rev to 7k no problems running 25psi. At the moment the rev limit is set to 6500 as it was a run-in tune. But in a few weeks it we'll be leaning on it a bit harder and will raise the limiter.

Keep the cubes as the engine needs them. Focus on the headwork and cam profile. This is where you'll make power and what rev range the power curve sit at.