Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing the Commodore VZ Engine Bay

adi91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hi there,

As you can see in the pictures my rides engine bay has become the dirtiest of it as it can :\
Am planing to detail my engine bay, but before doing that I had a few worries that I need to take care of and some suggestions\help.

In the very first picture I've circled in the red and numbered a few parts am worried about to cover or not to cover (am gonna cover em with plastic bags).

1. Fuse Box,
Am thinking of covering the fuse box at first before spalshing water all over the engine and then doing all the corners near the fuse box at the very end of the detailing using a detailing brush.

2. ABS,
I don't think I should cover this but its better to ask then crying later :p
So what do you guys think about covering it?

3. "THE VZ HOLE",
From the day I bought this car, I've no idea why they've left that space :p ...At first I thot there was a bolt missing so I asked the mechanic, he said it comes like this by default :p ...anyhow... should I be worried about the "THE VZ HOLE" ? :p

4. Air Filter,
Last but not the least, am thinking of removing the whole air filter+assymbley, as obviosly there 'll be dirt & grime below it for sure, so covering the sensor and the manifold inlet and then cleaning\detailing the engine

I'll be using, Aqua2Go (Portable Pressure Washer), other then that plz let me know if there is any other part that I need to cover or I things I need to keep in mind.

Thnx in advance

20160421_163937.jpg

20160421_163929.jpg

20160421_163945.jpg

20160421_164021.jpg

lowndes8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I did my engine bay the other day

1 - You need a good heavy duty de-greaser
2 - I didn't cover anything. I just didn't flood any area that are sensitive with water
3 - Right after i finished using the high pressure hose i used a air hose to blow away any water
4 - Started car right after so there was no issues

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
just a tip, when you remove the 2 plasic covers, you will see the coil pacs, try not to get eny water pressure on them, I washed mine the other week, and got water in no5 started to run sick, with a drive train fault ended up changing plugs, fuel injectors ,all good now

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
chev badged, leave it as is to hide your shame.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Cover the alternator, air inlet and avoid applying direct jets of high pressure water onto any connectors (electrical/mechanical). Take your time and if the de-greaser is any good and does the job you could probably get away with just a standard/low pressure garden hose.

Grazzag

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ Wagon
definitely cover the alternator, it may be a good idea to clean or replace the air filter too.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
First I will say that is one dust ass engine bay!

Secondly, I detail engine bays all the time and the only thing I ever cover is exposed air filters, or electronics from older cars. Plastic bags work well.
Modern engines are pretty easy to clean, the only thing to remember is not to spray a stream of water near electrical parts or air intakes.

This is what I do after I make sure the engine is cold, or only slightly warm. Never on a hot engine.

What I do is first use a pressure washer and lightly rinse it all down without directly spraying anything. I spray a light degreaser/Soap/Car wash all over the engine and bay, use a bunch of different brushes to agitate the dirt then rinse it off with the pressure washer, once again not directly spraying anything.

Afterwards I also like to use either compressed air or warm filtered air to dry the engine and bay. Makes it so much easier to get water out of all the crevices.
Then just start it up to dry off any extra water.

I also only use a pressure washer and don't use a regular hose as it will spray too much water around the place and could potentially cause electrical shorts.

SVZKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Commodore
The Number 3 hole has a bolt way down there same as the hole back far right. If you take those 2 bolts and the 4 large ones in the middle ( Leave the other 2 alone )you can take the intake off without needing to change the intake gaskets.

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
When I did mine I just used most of a can of degreaser, then washed it off with the garden hose. It'd never been cleaned before and even the really dirty bits come good. I also used tyre shine on the radiator and engine covers, and other spots, came up really well. Only thing I covered was the air intake, had no problems after.

I'm putting 25mm manifold insulators on soon and so I've removed the engine covers and was wondering about getting anything too wet in there. After reading this it doesn't look like ive got anything to worry about.