Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Discussion in 'General' started by Lish, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    Righto had a proper read of your response Toey, thanks for all the detail.

I'll start with the fact that i know i should/need to machine polish the car, however at the moment i just can't justify 300 odd dollars for a machine that i will only use once a year if lucky. maybe i will put it on santa's list considering how fast christmas is coming up!

whats the best light to see swirls under, LED torch, direct sun, overcast sun, fluro tubes? as i know where some are (mainly bonnet) but can never see them greatly.

the claying issue is fine, i will do it when still wet, and just use ALOT of lube.

would you recommend doing a round of lime prime in between my clay and paint protection, or will i just be wasting my money? (theres some slight clouding on my door that i do not know what its from that I'm afraid clay will not remove, but the lime prime might. I will try and grab a pic of it now)

And yes i was referring to the dodo juice waxes, they have lots of soft and hard.
    so you think i should put some wax on after my paint protection, and if so, whats your choice?
    if its from the dodo juice range ill get the pack that contains lime prime, wax and cloths. though open to all suggestions that would look best on my colour (Poison Ivy)

2. toey@carfx

toey@carfx Detailing Junkie

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    haha, u may think that the polisher will come out once a year, i bet you will be doing friends and family cars in no time.

yes the lime prime will make a difference as the micro abrasives will get rid of light marks and clean the paint. using it may deem the bonding agent a waste of time and product (but worth using if not using lime prime) as the sealant will work with it. if you are going to use dg 105, you cant layer this as it has cleaners in it so doing layers of this is pointless, but on the other hand dg111 can be layered with no porbs. 1 coat of dg105 will last longer then dg111 but using multiple layers of dg111 will get alot better life from the sealant (and dg111 looks better in my eyes). or better still a layer of dg105 then 2 layers of dg111 then wax.

for the wax i would go probably purple haze or supernatural. the sample pots got a very long way, you should get 8 coats out of it easy. end of the day it comes down to your own tastes

Troyziee likes this.
  3. Johnny01

Johnny01 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt wagon 50th anniversary
    Hi everyone just wondering what's the best way to get rid of overspray from my car, it's a dark blue/purple (Bermuda blue I think) vt wagon and ever since I've owned it there has been mad amounts of white overspray all over like someone has sprayed a car right next to it ive tried some cut and polish but ir just seems to dull the paint a bit and not take the overspray away any help would be great cheers

4. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    Clar bar then a good polish to remove the marring you put it. It depends how long it has set on the paint and what type of paint the over spray is as to how easy the job will be. All the cutting compound has done is dislodge the surface contaminates and scratch your paint. That is why you need to clay before any form of polishing.

Also, did you try the polish by hand or machine? If by hand, you have put too much pressure on the harsh abrasives before they started to break down which has scratched the paint and made dull. You will need a finer polish to bring back the gloss. If you used a machine, you have gone too hard and will need to step down a couple of times to refine the paint, basically the same as what I said about doing by hand.

5. Filippimini

Filippimini New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
    Hi all,

I have been given my grandfathers VP Calais, which is in very good condition. However, as he got older he didn't pay as much attention to detailing the car.

The paint on the roof is a little faded/dull. What is the best way to restore it?

Ryan

6. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    Depends on what it's like, post a pic up of the roof then we can tell you what is needed

7. Filippimini

Filippimini New Member

Members Ride:
    here are some pics. As you can see, the paint isn't bad, just a little dull.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    Look like red on my phone (or is it maroon?). If it is red it won't have a clear coat hence why it will go dull. If it is maroon it will be clear coated and the dullness maybe from the clear starting to fail.

If it is the red a good going over with some compound on a machine polisher then finish down with a finer polish and pad combo. Doing it by hand may get results your happy with but it will be hard work getting through the oxidization. Also this may result in patch look to it where not all the oxidization had been removed.

If its maroon there isn't much you will be able to do if the clear is failing. Whatever you do must be very light as effectively you are removing a very fine layer of clear and if it is failing you will only speed up the failing process by removing clear. Only way to fix it is respray.

Good idea is to jump onto car care products website and check out their how to guide which has text and videos explaining every part of the processes needed to do the job

9. TinSnips

TinSnips Polish all the things...

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    Yay for non-cleared holden red! Needs to have the oxidation removed by machine polishing. There's no fancy wonder product that will help. If you're handy with a polisher, you'll be able to have a crack at it yourself with a bit of help from some products from Car Care Products.

10. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    I'm back with more silly questions!

About to buy the dodo juice like prime and dodo juice purple haze, but need to know if/what applicators I will need and how to apply it.

Lime prime, don't know what sort of applicator is required. And also how to apply it, circle work or straight lines? Let it dry or work it then wipe straight off?

Purple haze, looking at dodos website they have a little tutorial applying by hand, would you recommend doing it by hand or one of those finger mits?

Plus for the lime prime and any waxing, do I need to tape up the lights, plastics and all that?

And hopefully last, say a month or so after waxing the wax is wearing off, can I top up the layer of wax, or need to go through the whole strip, clean, reapply paint protection and wax stages?

11. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    Did ccp send you any app pads? When I got mine many moons ago it came with a suede pad n a microfibre pad. The mf pad is for lp and suede is for the wax. Not a fan of the finger mitts, I just use one of the plain mint round foam app pads then throw it away.

Have you watched the vids on ccp's how to section yet? Straight lines is the better option with both lp n wax. Don't let the lp completely dry or it will be a pain to remove n you will end up having to go over it again.

12. Filippimini

Filippimini New Member

Members Ride:
    Thanks guys,

It's a maroon/burgundy. I believe it's called cardinal red. Would this have a clear coat?

13. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    I havent put the order through yet, its just sitting in my wish list waiting, cause i wana make sure if i need to i order the pads in the same order. so to answer that, no :) maybe if CCP are reading through this they could throw in a couple for me ;)

I've watched all there videos afew months ago, will re-watch them just before i start the work.

Car Care Products / Mint / Car Accessories / Applicators / Microfibre Circular Applicator Pad
    thats what i was thinking for the lime prime, and

Car Care Products / Mint / Car Accessories / Applicators / Foam Applicator Pads
    that for the wax? i wouldnt have a clue, i never knew there was SO much diversity just in application pads! steep learning curve this is. you never apply wax with bare hands?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  14. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    thats them. i did have the aquatouch mf app pad, but i got that years ago (im sure its in the shed somewhere) and the mint one will do the exact same thing but cant say i have used them myself as i only use lp with a machine these days.

never tried giving a car a "handjob" with the wax, some think its calming and theriputic but i just see it as a waste of good product and a bit of wank factor, but thats just me

15. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    not too sure, is it a solid colour or is it a metallic?

solid i would say no, metaillic would have a clear on it.

16. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    hahah ye i agree applying by hand does sound abit wankey, the dodo juice website said that way so thought id ask.

what about masking up for LP and wax?

And i just want to say a MASSIVE thanks toey for all the help and info, i know most of my questions must sound stupid and obvious, but i really appreciate the in-depth, non smart-ass responses, massive cheers mate :beer chug:

17. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    all good dude. tape up the plastics and rubbers as it will leave marks. it is fine to use over head n tail lights, especially the the wax.

you may find it worthwhile to stop in on the main australian detailing forum, detail paradise, lots of info and nice guys all willing to help out with advise.......but we are a bad influance ;)

18. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    Items all ordered, and will be checking out the detailers forum when i get a chance ;)

LAST question since i havent joined the detail forum yet. those gloss black plastics in between the doors (B-pillars) on VE's, they scratch up like no tomorrow, since i will be tapping up all the plastics when i Lime Prime and wax, can i leave those un-tapped and work over them abit??

19. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    yep, it makes a difference, just dont rub too hard as they can be delicate. dont be alarmed if the applicator turns black as they are not clear coated and the glossy black plastic oxidises up quickly, best to do them last. make sure you wax them up too.

last thing make sure you take pleanty of pics and post here and on dp ;)

20. Filippimini

Filippimini New Member

Members Ride:
    Alright, I have confirmed that the cardinal red has a clear coat. Is there anything I try to make it shine again?

In my very unknowledgeable opinion, it doesn't look like failing clear. But then again what do I know about paint....