Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
ummm not really....only the ones that I have stated above. Work in small areas...dont let any of the polishes dry too long. Appy with clean, damp soft cloths. I personally wouldnt be using the cut and polish unless your paint is BAD... you will get dull marks on your phantom paint where it literally cuts back the paint. (it is designed to remove the damaged layer of paint, so unless its damaged I wouldnt use it) Just use the swirl remover and the carnuba wax...but please read the instructions carefully because phantom paint is one of the hardest paints to polish/clean without showing up any marks.
The buffer...again work in small areas and let the buffer do the work- don't force it or hold it too tight onto the car. You are polishing a very touchy colour here! Let me know how it comes up :thumbsup:

B

blofly

okey dokey I will post a pic up when it is done :D I just need to find a shady area like a garage or car port to do it in! and I have neither :bang: The cut and polish isn't really a cut and polish it's more of a deep paint cleanser, well thats what the bottle says anyway. My car has a very mild roughness feel to it, I had a VR before and used kitten number 2 cut and polish on it and it came up smooth like glass, I then put Meguirs Gold Class Kit on after the cut back and it was so bright and shiny it hurt my eyes to look at it in the direct sun on a hot day

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
What can be done with polishing for metallic paints...

I just got a 2nd hand Calais and have just found out that it had a minor bingle which resulted in half the car being spraypainted... it an effort to color match the original paint...

The problem is I noticed the other day that it must have been a rush job... cause there's a huge curly blonde pube stuck on the bonnet inside the clear coat...

Can I buff this out...? :shutup: or will a triple XXX wax help ?

but seriously...what can I do ?

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
wholey crap sixshooter..that got the old grey matter ticking over.... :bop: :rofl:
I can't think of any cut n polish that is going to cut back enough to enable you to remove the hair without leaving either marks where the hair was or really dull paint in the area that you have been buffing. I mean you could try cut n polish and buffing and buffing and buffing....maybe over time it will eventually come out.
I would strongly recommend taking it to a spraypainter who will remove it then respray the bonnet with clear coat.
THAT is one hell of a challenge sixshooter and one that doesnt come up often thank goodness LOL

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Thanks for the advice Lish...

I think I'll just live with it until I can afford a full glamour respay & GTS kit

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
export tyre shine... $3 / can from supercheap

easy to apply, cheap, looks good, seems better than armour all, brings up plastics real nicely, lengendary stuff...

however, I have been told that on hot days it leaves residue on windows (interior)
any of you detailers got advice on this one??

for the price it seems to be magic, and appears to outperform anything else...

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
any 'oily' substance that coat your plastic, dash board etc will leave a residue on windscreen. The worst of the lot is armourall..I've never tried this one you speak of as I don't like to put anything on the dash - they just attract the dust and it sticks to it and makes it look worst in about half a day.
The only way to remove this oily substance is to have a damp chamois in your glove box and wipe it over regulary. Not forgetting to wash the chamois regulary to remove the oily build up.
I simply wipe my dash and interior of the car with a damp chamois during regular cleans to keep it looking spick. If the interior has built up dirt and grime mix a little methylated spirits and water (1/4 metho 3/4 water) in spray bottle and clean with that...roof lining, sunvisors, door trims etc etc.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
this is a really good thread.

i got an 87 VL, and as you could imagine 18 years of sunshine would leave it looking pretty dull, i was wonderign what should i use to polish it, it is gold.

and what type of paint do you recoment to get it resprayed in 2pac or acrylic?

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
2 pac if you can afford 2 pac lasts longer and looks better longer.

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
A good cut n polish to cut back the weathered layer and then give it a spick shine is the way to go. I'm not really going to say brands as there are so many out there and we all have our own preferences...I personally prefer the Turtle Wax, Meguiars and Mothers brands. It may take a couple of go's but it all depends on the severity of the damage as to how good you are going to get it.
As far as the paints are concerned...I'm not a spraypainter and really don't know much about paints...sorry not the person to ask that one....maybe someone reading this does ????