Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lish good thread, only thing is be clear this is detailing for everyday cars not show cars, big difference in products and how things are applied.

vlv8, you should try a few layers of zaino across the camry, it bought up my little sisters car trumps, 3 layers of show polish lasted 5 months before a redoing.

This is just my suggestion, but i dont reccomend using anything but zaino for polishes/wax and mother earth for cleaning agents, just my 2 cents :p

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
very good point Minux ...I've never detailed show cars, only everyday cars and new cars for delivery to customers. Oh and traded filthy cars and 4wds to go on caryard for resale (the hardest cars I've ever cleaned!) so how to get dirt out of lil tricky areas and bring the interior up spick is one area I'm VERY confident on lol (it takes about 5-6 hours to detail a used car to caryard display, longer for non-cared for cars)
:D

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Lol heres one for you then...

is there an EASIER way to get bits of grass out of carpet than sitting there picking them out one by one?

vacuuming just doesn't cut it!!!

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
shaggerz said:
Lol heres one for you then...

is there an EASIER way to get bits of grass out of carpet than sitting there picking them out one by one?

vacuuming just doesn't cut it!!!

brush it first with something soft like a soft toothbrush - it will loosen the grass out of the carpet fibres then give it a good vacumn

Those rubber floor mats stop a lot of grass in carpets too :thumbsup: :D

Last edited:

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
I never said detailing your car was sposed to be easy or simple...the fact of the matter is that giving your car (especially older ones with years of built up dirt and grime) a good clean takes nothing but elbow grease and sweat...it's hard work and takes time. If you can't be bothered with it or if it's all too hard then I suggest you pay to have it detailed by a professional car detailer - but expect to pay because it is hard work. But they remove your seats and upholster them and upholster all the roof lining, carpets and bring it back to virtually brand new! Then it's just a matter of keeping it that way with regular cleaning.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Another point, never polish in circles! the products say polish in circular motions that creates your swirl marks, polish in straight back and forth motions. :) I'm no expert but I know the experts.

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
ummmm I disagree there ShanghaiVZ...the reason for circular motions is so you keep even pressure with your hand, straight back and forth there is always more pressure when pushing forth with the heel of your palm. If you are getting swirl marks its because you are not using a soft enough cloth or one that is full of old polish residue from the polish before. I recommend cheesecloth and use a new one every polish. Always shake out your cloth as you are going to remove excess dry polish. Swirl marks can also appear if you don't apply the polish with a damp cloth - again cheeselcloth is the softest.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
I understand your view, what's good for someone isn't neccesarily good for someone else. You heard of willwaxu?? you will know who I mean then. Im not going to argue with someone who details full show cars for a living he obviously knows what he is doing. :) And if he uses methods such as the way he polishes I won't be complaining. Overall a bloody good thread ;)

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
I agree totally - some methods are better for others....your friend obviously has a fine touch when polishing which is hard to achieve and maintain when the arm gets tired lol. I guess for the forum readers it is up to you which method you find easier depending on your rythym or style so to speak lol. For someone being in the business of detailing show cars and having doing it for a long time then his technique is bound to be refined!
and thank you:D - hope this thread helps...

B

blofly

I have recently bought the mothers three phase system which includes a cut and polish, swirl remover and pure carnuba wax. I need to apply each one seperately.
I also bought a 240V 10 inch buffer from "discount auto parts"! and three pairs of aplicator pads and a big bag of rags too! my car is phantom mica so I need to do it in the shade since it heats up like a hot plate at daybreak! is there any tips I should follow while doing this?