Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing

trelos05

Reaction score
Hexam Supercheap stock most of the good Bowdens stuff

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
If anyone is looking for a good wheel cleaner...

I wasn't but after your suggestion and everyone's positive comments, i'm off to supercrap at lunchtime to buy some, cheers!!!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Tinsnips,

Thanks for the tip on the Wheel Woolies. $64.95 + $11.95 shipping. A worthwhile purchase considering the cost of replacement rims and the corrosive effects of brake dust etc. Might save my knuckles too:

Car Care Products / Speciality Brands / Car Accessories / Brushes & Mitts / Wheel Woolies Kit

Cheers

They're one of the best wheel brushes on the market. The small one is a bit useless for most wheels, aside from getting in between tight spokes - but it's good for getting in and around engine components when you're cleaning the bay, or even cleaning out the inside of exhaust tips. You'll still need a normal detailing brush for wheel faces and the like - the vikan wheel face brush is good, if a little cumbersome - otherwise just get the raceglaze/mint set of horse hair brushes and you can use them right across the car. I keep the large one for wheel faces and lug nuts - the rest go to cleaning out badges, vents, engine bays, interiors, etc - I have a few different sets, but those are good value for money.

Would it be safe for painted wheels?

Are the Redline chrome wheels clear-coated?

Definitely safe on painted wheels and yes, the redline wheels are cleared - haven't found a wheel it's not safe on yet. It's the only thing I'll touch an anodised wheel with aside from wash soap - I do cut it down by about half for anodised though to be on the safe side, but haven't had any indicators that it would do any damage. After a chat with Dan Bowden about it, he uses it on anodised wheels neat without any issues. Most anodised wheels I come across have copped some abuse though, so I err on the side of caution.

For tar, the cheapest and probably best solution is white spirits - at a couple of bucks a litre, it's a no-brainer. Any mineral spirit product will dissolve tar and white spirits has a slow flash time. You can use prepsol as well but it flashes quicker so it's not as effective on heavy tar spots - good for quick clean ups though as it doesn't leave any residue. Mineral spirits is the active ingredient in all tar removers that work. All Purpose Cleaner will take care of bugs almost all the time.

The only thing about wheely clean (and any of the ferrous dissolving products) is that they smell ridonkulously bad - though wheely clean does smell less bad that most others. Also, give the wheels a good blast out with the pressure cleaner first to both get rid of any loose crap as well as wetting down the driveway - you can clean the purple out of the driveway easy enough but wetting it down first saves the hassle.

adamrollo9

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 HSV Clubsport
Any good for plasti dip wheels ?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
does the Bowdens stuff have to be purchased from them or can it be sourced from the local auto part stores?

available from super cheap and autobarn though it's A LOT cheaper to buy in bulk from the bowden's site, even without trade discount. 5L price is about $90 from memory, vs buying 10x 500mL trigger packs for $25-$30 each - though it's a good idea to buy one trigger pack and refill it from the bulk pack as it's a fairly good spray head. You can get better value out of the shipping too by buying more. The stand outs in bowden's range IMO are the body gel (one of the slickest shampoos around and goes well through a foam lance), APC, tyre shine (nice and matte and dries fast), metal polish and their quick detailer spray isn't bad either. The plastic dressing is good for dressing engine bays - I don't use dressings anywhere else on a car as they tend to bleed in the rain, I'll usually go for a coating, so make your own mind up on that. That's not to say that I don't use other products as well - every job is different - but if you like the bowdens range, these are good complimentary products and all australian made

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Any good for plasti dip wheels ?

plasti dip is a pig to clean. Just use APC and a brush to clean and dress with a plastic dressing if they stain. it's not a great coating for wheel surfaces, particularly if you don't stay right on top of cleaning them.

Definitely look at it as a disposable coating that you'll want to be re-applying semi-regularly if you want to keep it looking ok.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
available from super cheap and autobarn though it's A LOT cheaper to buy in bulk from the bowden's site, even without trade discount. 5L price is about $90 from memory, vs buying 10x 500mL trigger packs for $25-$30 each

supercheap have them on sale ATM for $15, I got the last one on the shelf at local store :) i think their normal price was $19-ish

I just checked Bowen's website, $50 for 2L, $90 for 5L (as Tinny said)

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Plenty of better and cheaper products than Bowdens. Car care products online is where I get everything. In a hurry I go to waxit in tullamarine. Forget over the counter crap.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
I bought and used the wheely cleaner today on my 20" super sports. It is pretty good, but dont expect it to replace a good clean with a brush and so on.
Its not just spray and rinse, especially on white wheels.
I have large brakes and rotors and brake dust is a pain in the arse.
I recon if you buy the Wheel Woolies, it would be money well spent and a better job.

I give this thread 10/10 for content and info.
One day ill have tinsnips come detail my car I hope.