Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Plenty of better and cheaper products than Bowdens. Car care products online is where I get everything. In a hurry I go to waxit in tullamarine. Forget over the counter crap.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Actually, you'll find that wheely clean comes in cheaper than most other ferrous dissolvers on the market and performs right up there with the best of them. I'm with you on avoiding most OTC junk but, truth be told, most bowden's gear doesn't fit into that category. More like they are ALSO sold OTC. I certainly don't like everything in the range, but some select products are excellent and every bit as good as boutique products. That's not to say for an instant that you shouldn't shop at the detailing boutique stores, like Detail Central, ZAS, Waxit, CCP, etc - I back them 100% and order through them and they have a huge range of products that will largely out-perform most of what you can buy in auto stores. Long and short of it is that I wouldn't use the products if they didn't work and if I didn't find them to help with my profitability.

As with anything, I'm not suggesting anyone take my word for it - best to form your own opinions

I bought and used the wheely cleaner today on my 20" super sports. It is pretty good, but dont expect it to replace a good clean with a brush and so on.
Its not just spray and rinse, especially on white wheels.
I have large brakes and rotors and brake dust is a pain in the arse.
I recon if you buy the Wheel Woolies, it would be money well spent and a better job.

I give this thread 10/10 for content and info.
One day ill have tinsnips come detail my car I hope.

Any wheel cleaner will be more effective with some agitation and brush work - that's just the nature of things. Aside from trade wheel acid, there's not much out there that is a truly spray and rinse type product - and even then, acid will still need to be worked if the wheels are feral.

I'd be happy to do it!

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I bought and used the wheely cleaner today on my 20" super sports. It is pretty good, but dont expect it to replace a good clean with a brush and so on.
Its not just spray and rinse, especially on white wheels.
I have large brakes and rotors and brake dust is a pain in the arse.
I recon if you buy the Wheel Woolies, it would be money well spent and a better job.

I give this thread 10/10 for content and info.
One day ill have tinsnips come detail my car I hope.

I agree totally, most wheels would need a scurb too. But with my "chromies" it was spray on, wait, hose off. I'm definitely getting a set of those Wheel Woolies though.

Maybe that's coal dust, not brake dust? :cool:

Thanks for all the expert advice TinSnips. A 5L bottle sounds like the way to go for value too.

Can you advise a good product to clean the light coloured micro suede on VF Redline's and Calais?

Cheers

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Can you advise a good product to clean the light coloured micro suede on VF Redline's and Calais?

Cheers

I haven't had to clean anything too nasty out of the VF interiors yet, but it will clean up like any other microsuede interior. The autobrite alcantara cleaner from CCP is ok, depending on the stain, but it's quite a heavy cleaner, meaning you need to take some time making sure you get rid of all of the cleaner with a damp microfibre towel (or towels). I get best results following that by blowing all the fibres back up with compressed air - helps the surface to dry as well - the traditional way is to run the vac over the surface and again when it's dry but I find compressed air more effective. Another option is a product called HD Total from Detail Central. It's a really good all purpose cleaner - you can use a weak mix of it misted on the surface and worked in gently with a brush. Use brushes to clean the fibres, rather than scrubbing with a towel or you run the risk of matting the fibres down. Always test for colour fastness and results in an inconspicuous area first, just to be safe.

I would definitely advise having a quality fabric protection product (not from a dealership) applied to micro-suede, particularly if it's a light colour.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't had to clean anything too nasty out of the VF interiors yet, but it will clean up like any other microsuede interior. The autobrite alcantara cleaner from CCP is ok, depending on the stain, but it's quite a heavy cleaner, meaning you need to take some time making sure you get rid of all of the cleaner with a damp microfibre towel (or towels). I get best results following that by blowing all the fibres back up with compressed air - helps the surface to dry as well - the traditional way is to run the vac over the surface and again when it's dry but I find compressed air more effective. Another option is a product called HD Total from Detail Central. It's a really good all purpose cleaner - you can use a weak mix of it misted on the surface and worked in gently with a brush. Use brushes to clean the fibres, rather than scrubbing with a towel or you run the risk of matting the fibres down. Always test for colour fastness and results in an inconspicuous area first, just to be safe.

I would definitely advise having a quality fabric protection product (not from a dealership) applied to micro-suede, particularly if it's a light colour.

Thanks for the reply. The stripe in the seats isn't spot stained, but slowly changing colour due to dye? and possibly dirt off my suit pants. I might take it to a local detailer and have the seats cleaned, then a protective spray applied (Opti Coat product?). They look good, but can see them getting grubby over time.

Thanks for your insights.

Cheers

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Have to agree its a very informative thread,some very handy tips indeed..hats off to Cuda for kicking it off and tinsnips and others for weighing in with expert/valuable tips :beer chug:

One further question I have,if Tinsnips(or somebody else)knows..recommendations of a gentle yet effective engine bay cleaner/degreaser type product? Also,ive asked another good fella on here but what type of water pressure level(eg is a gurney pushing too much pressure?)is fine to wash off the dirt,dust and cleaning agent?
Finally I should avoid the alternator definitely but what other components may not like direct water spray,assumeing the rest of the bay should be fairly resistant to direct water spray? cheers in advance...

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Have to agree its a very informative thread,some very handy tips indeed..hats off to Cuda for kicking it off and tinsnips and others for weighing in with expert/valuable tips :beer chug:

One further question I have,if Tinsnips(or somebody else)knows..recommendations of a gentle yet effective engine bay cleaner/degreaser type product?

Your engine bay shouldn't need degreasing unless some thing is leaking/busted.
With that, I just use a damp mirco fibre cloath.

img1381ck.jpg

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4

One further question I have,if Tinsnips(or somebody else)knows..recommendations of a gentle yet effective engine bay cleaner/degreaser type product? Also,ive asked another good fella on here but what type of water pressure level(eg is a gurney pushing too much pressure?)is fine to wash off the dirt,dust and cleaning agent?
Finally I should avoid the alternator definitely but what other components may not like direct water spray,assumeing the rest of the bay should be fairly resistant to direct water spray? cheers in advance...

Search for a product called p21s total auto wash. Its a citrus based degreaser. Very pricey but also effective and safe on virtually any surface.

Don't use high pressure on the engine. Cover any electronic parts you can see with plastic bags/cling wrap for extra safety.

Dry using compressed air or even an electric leaf blower. Then turn the car on and let idle for 10-15 mins or so (or even take it for a short drive) to dry any remaining water out. Dress the plastic and rubber with 303 aerospace after it has cooled down again.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
Tinsnips,

What sort of products and accessories would you recommend for a basic home kit?. i want to get my car care products in order for the Caprice.
Thanks mate, informative thread. and will come in handy.

One day maybe i'll be able to get you to do my car Tinny, i like the photos i've seen of your work!.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
As an aside,

Anyone with "squeaky" VE door seal rubbers? A little of that white waxy lube which comes in a stick wrapped in silver paper (help me out here people, can't remember what it's called exactly), will silence the noise.
Somebody stop me, I'm starting to sound like one of those old Womans Day handy hints and remedies columnists. :hmmm: