Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detonation Sensor?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
nah knock sensor detects when the engine missfures ect and lowers the rpm ect
It detects detonation, which in turn it then pulls timing out.
AirStrike :air:

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
It detects detonation, which in turn it then pulls timing out.

thats rite it detects detonation/pinging.

when did you last have your injectors cleaned?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Paradox have you researched what detonation is yet, because you know I don't want to have to tell you :p

P.S you can also research what pre ingnition is while you are there

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Paradox have you researched what detonation is yet, because you know I don't want to have to tell you :p

P.S you can also research what pre ingnition is while you are there
Pre ignition is when things like the valves are worn and the igntion is firing before the cylinder has filled correctly aint it? So there for its still partially filled with shitty exhaust gasses..........So yeh detonation:p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Detonation is when fuel explodes hardcore instead of burning, I have a nice fun video somewhere of a badly tuned/bad running VL turbo doing a nice impression of detonation about 3 seconds before it chucked half the motor out onto the track :p. WrrrrreEAAAAAAputAputAAAAAAH put put BANG BANG BANG put BANG crunch, dead. Something like that.

pre ignition is just when it catches fire before it should have, from the timing being wrong or a overheated motor/carbons all that stuff they are both the same kinda thing in that one can cause the other but detonation is a whole lot more serious than a little ping here and there because it will kill the motor and really fast :)

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Reminds me of brothers 202, it has a fairly large carbon build-up and tended to "run-on" after the ignition was switched off, sometimes even up to about 10-15 secs if it was hot

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
from what i understand pinging/detonation is caused when the a/f mix is compressed
and the heat in the carbon cause a flame to come from the opposite side of the cylinder towards the spark plug. when the spark plug ignites the mixture it starts a nother flame. these flame fronts colide violently and cause the pinning/knocking noise you here. this is also when the top of the piston gets "eaten away".(casues major pitting in the engine). i learnt that 2 yrs ago in tradie so i might be wrong(i might have been sleeping)

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
Reminds me of brothers 202, it has a fairly large carbon build-up and tended to "run-on" after the ignition was switched off, sometimes even up to about 10-15 secs if it was hot
]

built in turbo timer, lol