Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
One cut, and some creative bending and hammering.
Yes it will get a fill panel made and riveted on which will protect against splashing and also add strength.
IMG_20201105_195501.jpg

IMG_20201105_195420.jpg

Small steps.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I had a good morning today.
Halved a drive shaft and cleaned up the spline. It had an inch of hard packed gunk in it that restricted compression (which also prevented fitment) but the uni's are good. So lots of scraping, degreasing, a bit of kero, and some fresh grease. Then it has full travel again.
IMG_20201114_211018.jpg

IMG_20201114_210617.jpg

And in the arvo I fitted the driveshaft so the handbrake would work. And we towed the truck 5km across town behind a Navara.
Safe arrivals, even if the brake pedal felt weak and I knew the shoes had not been broken in (and only the fronts were working so far.)
But I had stoplights and a left indicator (not sure why right rear wasn't working).
My commodore was following behind, so it was boxed in pretty well against other traffic.
Not the safest tow in the books. But it happened.

I will get a photo of it in my new garage some time and throw that up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is that a slip yoke design?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Is that a slip yoke design?
Factory design. Flanges mount solid on both ends (trans and diff), and spline can telescope as required with suspension movement.
Unlike the commodore which is a solid shaft and slides into the back of the box.
Better water tightness in off-road river crossing I imagine.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I forgot to mention, the other joy of working in my new garage is that there seems to be a Tui (native NZ song bird) frequenting a tree just over my boundary, and happily whistling away as I work.
Tranquil

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Factory design. Flanges mount solid on both ends (trans and diff), and spline can telescope as required with suspension movement.
Unlike the commodore which is a solid shaft and slides into the back of the box.
Better water tightness in off-road river crossing I imagine.

Nope, all 4WD's have this design because of the transfer case, stronger too.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
When I said fitted the driveshaft, I actually meant two bolts at the diff, and two nuts at the handbrake drum (transfer case).
But today fitted and correctly torqued 4 bolts at the diff and 4 nuts on the hand brake drum.
Yes progress has been slow. But I have been spending time putting things away and organising the new garage. As well as I got a set of steel draws which I am using for alot of hardware which should ease the build process somewhat. Having 2 draws with most of the landrover hardware should make working out what is what a little easier.
For example: today I found and labelled a bag as front driveshaft bolts (8x nut and bolt). Therefore quick reference when required, and a skim over when I am working on other things.
I'll get a picture up of the drawers at some point too.

Reactions: Lex

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Drivers door fixed window is in and sealed (hopefully) with bottom sliding window track in and a hole cut for series3 style window lock.
Tomorrow I might clean the sliding window glass and fit it with the top rail.
I took a picture but it was too dark really.
Big thanks to the wife for helping holding the glass etc.

Once the sliding window is in, I might get onto the rubber door seals and then the truck is practically sealed up to the elements.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
yes!!!!!! lucky = get help.
My missius loves to bag = when are you going to do that project = but doesn't understand projects need more than one person at times =to achieve!!!!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Drivers window mostly done. Rear track is just a small section until I get a full height piece. And I need to trim down my rubber stopper a bit and put that in too (to limit max forward travel of sliding window.)
Half done yesterday:
IMG_20201128_183834.jpg

And second half:
IMG_20201128_184018.jpg

Storage drawers previously discussed:
IMG_20201128_183921.jpg