It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community
Discussion in 'Projects' started by Deuce, Jun 28, 2019.
Watch the Tigers win the GF !!
This thread needs more pics!!!!! BTW Giants will smash the Tigers...
Only boring pictures of priming at the moment. Will have exciting pictures once paint goes on.
always good to have before/during/after shots for personal reference to look back on.
Sometimes I am that dodgy you don't want to remember the 'during'.
But I agree on before vs after pictures.
I`d like to see the exciting pictures on the washing coloured grey
Funny that. When I purchased the project the 2 front doors were already primed. So I rubbed them down and 1k'd the rub through. So minimal overspray.
Add to the list:
- Both vent flaps (outer only)
- rear lighting - interior cosmetic covers (in and out)
- almost got seat box (edges only) ready to go as well.
- seat box
- a couple dozen bolts (for hinges etc)
- purchased and prepared the rest of the hinges.
This week will be a bit of masking things, and hanging hinges like Christmas lights ready to string up in one go.
My day (afternoon) in the booth came yesterday:
1st coat on
Left it overnight to cure. And brought stuff home again today.
And fitted bulkhead straight away.
Fitted door handles. Dummy fitted hinges. Set up door and aligned with door catch nicely. Then tightened down catch.
I will do the same for the rear doors soon, although rear doors still need painting.
Looking more comfy now:
Gave up on the front and 7point turned the truck around so back end has good access. Also put l/h front door top on and l/h rear door on to get them out of the way (both still need painting etc.)
Starting to look like something (on this side at least)
Plan of attack is to sort rear lighting and fuel tank. Then move forward from there.
Most of the way there with rear lighting.
Edit: loaded a better picture.
All rear lights are working as they should. Even with only an earth on the battery and touching labelled wires to the positive.
A bit crude but testing has proven they work and I can finish closing in the wiring.
I pulled the fuel tank out today. I had to cut 2 different hose clamps that rust had affected. Also broke the ends of off 2 different breather hoses as they are old.
But hit the top with degreaser and a brush while my 18 month old diligently hosed it off. Next up, checking for leaks and painting the top side (underneath and sides already painted)
So turns out previous owner had only painted visible chassis without removing the fuel tank.
So while the tank was out I gave the rough chassis areas a wire brush and a shot of black.
Also gave the top of the fuel tank a coat of PA10
Next up is finding the pinhole leak and fixing.
Found the pin hole leak. But ran out of time to fix it.
A mate was selling an LD28 that he pulled from an HQ ute he purchased, but he kept the power steering pump, brackets and tensioner (legend mate right there). So I degreased them and bolted them to my motor (haven't fitted tensioner yet):
You will see the landcruiser (I think) steering box in lower left of the photo. Which I need to work out in and out fluid sides of it.
In other news, I have cut the s/s braid 1/2" back from either end of a -8 braided hose to expose the 1/2" ID breather hose which I will use for the tank crossover breather.
Also got lower windscreen to bulkhead seal. So dummy fitted the windscreen. And both front vent seals arrived so fitted those up properly too. Looking more like a truck now.
Brake pedal/master/booster are off of a factory 6cyl upgrade and do not fit my firewall.
Pedal is very low
So guess I need to start cutting my fresh paint:
Separate names with a comma.