Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You must be stoked seeing it slowly come together.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I made a cardboard template for a bracket for the horns to mount off the radiator panel.
I decided that it was too one dimensional and would probably shake until it broke. So made a cross brace template between to perpendicular surfaces of the radiator panel.
I decided that that may be too close to where the transmission cooler may go (when I get one). So made a half box template that would be very strong and mount the horns a bit higher.
I wondered how close that would sit to the bonnet stay bracket, so fitted bracket to the fender, marked up where the fuel filters mount, measured the steering box clearance, and then decided two existing holes in the fender (1 needed enlarging) would be enough for the horns and would clear everything.
That was a time consuming job suddenly made quick and easy
1635406546155.jpg

And it is plenty close to where the wiring harness runs too.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Got some stuff to finish up the cooling system.
1635878234660.jpg

Had to make a lower thermostat gasket as I couldn't find one for sale
1635878231379.jpg

Not pretty, but should do the job fine.
1635878228917.jpg

Then I ran the garden hose in the top of the engine through the heater return. I had no lower hose on so could put my hand over output and force the water all through the block and back out the heater output.
Continually filling and emptying until the water ran clear.
Then drove it back into the garage and fitted the lower hose.
1635878226150.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
A few days back, I started slowly filling the radiator with coolant. But the green moisture on the ground soon lead me back to a leak.
Previously my brother had brazed the side bracket back on as it was a bit loose and said he backed off when he saw the solder join between bottom tank and core looking soft. Not sure why we didn't test it before now, but oh well, radiator panel is back out and will get it re fixed again soon.
Then decided to wire the plug on the R/H fender - looked at the plug on pass fender to remember pin placement and pulled a wire clean out of its pin - then managed to pull 2 more loose too. Bugger knows what I was drinking when I did them, but spent ages with a terminal pick trying to remove them from the housing.

Then finished wiring the plug to the fender (a touch of solder holding each crimp for safe measure on this one. Might buy a proper crimp tool one day). Finished fixing the other fender plug.
Then removed the main power wire from battery to starter motor, as the battery terminal clamp was a fraction small, wouldn't go on properly, and is actually just a spare earth lead that I'll use on something else one-day. And used a new positive battery clamp to a slightly longer 4awg cable that tidies up that section of wiring and routing etc.

Small steps, but such success today makes me feel better about the hiccups a few days ago.

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Today I riveted the cloth strip across the top of the radiator panel. Another small step forward, and man it looks cool. Feels a heap closer to finish even though it was a small job, and the radiator panel isn't on the truck so we are backwards in that sense. But SO COOL!
1636515375776.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Today I riveted the cloth strip across the top of the radiator panel. Another small step forward, and man it looks cool. Feels a heap closer to finish even though it was a small job, and the radiator panel isn't on the truck so we are backwards in that sense. But SO COOL!
View attachment 229434

Partly backwards, yet partly forwards.....So we call it neutral, which is better than a backwards step...:)

Keep up the good work

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
While the rad panel was out (it is still out) I decided to fit the drivers fender as I can't think of much else I need the access for.
So fitted that and tightened it down to the firewall and sideskirt.
Mounted the big red relay box for headlights, the fuel filters, and the horn relay to the fender. Tidied some more engine bay wiring (I think Fu requested this 50 pages back - more to come here though).
Also used a dozen zip ties getting all under seat wiring and full length fuel line all sitting neatly.
1636871346299.jpg
1636871344504.jpg

And then after the pictures I fitted the bonnet stay to the bonnet - just need a split pin for fender end once the rad panel is back and everything is tightened.

Still need to run some Earth's from horn and relay box.
And set up a kick down switch.
Then I'm almost done with wiring.