Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ended up filling it with water and nothing leaked for days.

Started it today (with eather), drove about 5km to a mate's. Went to see if he was home which he wasn't. Took a picture to send to him because he would be stoked to see it out driving.
Just before I got in the truck I hear a hissing and steaming. Straight away I knew the rad was in trouble again.

Drove 2 blocks to my mum's, let it cool a bit. Rad cap off, slow feed water in from the garden hose. Removed top seal from cap and put it back on.
I was then getting about a drip a second, so high tailed it home again.

Truck went well otherwise. Probably need to tweak vacuum bleed so 2nd to 3rd shift is a little sooner. But mostly happy with it.

Back to radiator woes and then try again.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ended up filling it with water and nothing leaked for days.

Started it today (with eather), drove about 5km to a mate's. Went to see if he was home which he wasn't. Took a picture to send to him because he would be stoked to see it out driving.
Just before I got in the truck I hear a hissing and steaming. Straight away I knew the rad was in trouble again.

Drove 2 blocks to my mum's, let it cool a bit. Rad cap off, slow feed water in from the garden hose. Removed top seal from cap and put it back on.
I was then getting about a drip a second, so high tailed it home again.

Truck went well otherwise. Probably need to tweak vacuum bleed so 2nd to 3rd shift is a little sooner. But mostly happy with it.

Back to radiator woes and then try again.

I applaud you for your patience, however me thinks it is time to get the tape measure out and see if you can find another radiator that doesn't leak, if a newie for this is a little heavy on the hip pocket :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Me reading the last few pages and looking through eBay for a radiator.
1649573909976.gif

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just going to leave this here

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Finally gutsed up and went for a WOF check today.
Good and bad news:
- brakes did well on rolling road bias test
- no comments on power steering conversion, or reflective sticker as license plate so that's good.
-headlight aim was fine and I've never even checked that.
But:
- right front indicator worked and then didn't work. So I'll have to look at that.
- rear plate light is visible by following traffic, so he suggested a little black tape to fix that.
- driver's seat movement, which I showed him and he was happy with so signed off on it.
- both front wheel bearings. (I watched him wobble the wheel). I was shocked. Either I did them wrong, or the adjustment nuts backed off. Either way, this is the first thing I will look at as I was nervous to drive home like that.
- and the kicker - certification on seat and seatbelt anchorages - bugger. I was hoping to avoid cert, but realistically the seats are so in your face it was a long shot (hence my hesitation to take it for it's check)

28days to complete and recheck is free. After that I will need to pay for a new check.

Oh, and put $40 diesel in on the way home and the fuel gauge stayed in the same spot. Weird...
That'll need attention too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Even with these minor problems, you still need to pat yourself on the back for getting it to where it is today....So congrats...The rest should be smooth sailing

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Even with these minor problems, you still need to pat yourself on the back for getting it to where it is today....So congrats...The rest should be smooth sailing
Thank you VC

Mostly the extra expenses of cert and any required remedial action it brings with it is what I'm worried about (especially since the wife just spent a mint on our bathroom which I'll need to start on next month)

But your positive outlook is appreciated.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I hope you feel a positive experience from it. I’m going to have to go through similar and would be heart broken to get knocked back.

Well done on all this. I was thinking today if I had money, what would I build and it would be a Defender 110 dual cab with an LSA and gearbox to match. Galv chassis.

Just a great looking car.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
First on the list was front wheel bearings.
Drivers side I removed, cleaned, lubed, reset and assembled. And the play was still there. Darn
Looked at it while flexing wheel and saw it was the swivel ball pins with play. Pulled top of and the fibrous washer in the bush was missing, and lower pin had an old o-ring pushed to the bottom of pin as well as an o-ring in place.
So got ready to order parts, but thought to pull passenger side 1st.
Hmm, washer is in there for top pin, but looks like too many shims under it. Continued disassembly to look at wheel bearing and it was ugly. I think I under packed them on my first assembly, and then when it sat outside for 6weeks while moving town and buying a house it was rainy season and hubs may not have been sealed perfectly. Bugger.
I'll see if I can save it, but may be short term. I'll keep an eye on it.

Oh, and I drained fluid from R/H swivel housing, but not L/H. But removing swivel housing pin and putting it loosely back in clearly disturbed the seal. So L/H housing drained itself onto the garage floor while I slept. Oops