Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Parts arrived today.
Drivers side got a new o-ring on the lower pin and back in. Top pin got new railko bush washer and 1mm of shims under plate to try and set load on lower bearing. Steering felt tight and that's all I can go on instead of spring test 12-14lb on the bench as per manual. Pulled top pin plate off and set it at 1.6mm of shims. Steering feels a bit softer now and I am happy.
Tomorrow I will reset the big swivel ball seal, torque top and lower plate bolts, refill oil, set brake preload and put a wheel on.

Next will be the other side and work out if I am keeping / gutting / or replacing to stock the freewheeling hubs. As they have been making funny noises.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So, it's been a slow month on the truck. My last day for a WOF recheck was yesterday.
I got the front axle sorted both sides and the wheels are now back on the ground.
I put tape over the top of the license plate light to restrict rearward light projection.
Looked at indicators and decided the stalk switch needs another inspection inside.

Been busy with bathroom Reno's. And also started my new job (one day a week for now): my job is to bring this low km's one lady owner series 1 truck back to road going status.
IMG20220527155232.jpg

It is 20 years older than my truck

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Did I post that Kiwi bloke that fixes these up? Great YouTube channel.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I drove my truck to work on Friday.
Can't say it started easily either direction. But I still drove it with tools and stuff in the back like a work truck.
LD28 diesel motor is definitely not my favourite (unless everyone else's LD28 goes better than mine)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I drove my truck to work on Friday.
Can't say it started easily either direction. But I still drove it with tools and stuff in the back like a work truck.
LD28 diesel motor is definitely not my favourite (unless everyone else's LD28 goes better than mine)

It started and you drove it...To me, that's a win, so congrats

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Glow plug issue with the start?
I dunno. It came with new plugs so I put them in. But how long should I glow for? Someone once told me 'with the ld28, ya gotta let them glow'
I've glowed for 30seconds and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Maybe I glow them and see how hot they feel from the outside?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
30 seconds sounds like a modern diesel. I'd try for a minute and see if it helps.