Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Power steering circuit is all bleed nicely it seems. And took around 900ml of penrite dx-3 trans fluid (same as 4l60e in the V8, and what will go in jatco 4n71b).
Started the truck today. It unfortunately required 'engine start' to actually fire. And once going (note that I had a shoe lace on the throttle arm and running through the firewall clutch pedal hole so I can control rpm by hand) I tried the gears and it did not move under its own power.
The steering felt nice and light, although lock to lock seems more to one side than the other which I will have to attend to.
And then after shut off I checked trans fluid which did not register on the stick. Although it did touch the stick when the back was off the ground. So this may or may not be the issue for no drive.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If the wires are backwards that will send the gauge to full.
Tried that, but no change.
Then I swapped the sender output and changed gauge back and I think we have sorted it.
The sender has a level output and a low fuel light output. After countless tank swaps (4, maybe 5?) I must have accidentally started using the wrong output at some point.
IMG_20210607_131513.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Decided that the welch plug job was going to be a biggy, so postponed that and am looking closer at some rust in the crossmember.
But now starting to think welch plug may have been the easier task. Ha
IMG_20210609_191324.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
This week's achievement, I purchased a universal throttle cable kit. But then switched the control arm on the firewall, cut and welded a linkage and put the universal cable on trademe for sale.
Now the throttle pedal controls fuel flow as per diesel requirement.
IMG_20210619_163504.jpg

Very light pedal though, so might need an extra return spring somewhere along the track.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
2hr drive each way, but picked up some free parts from a series 3 destined for the scrap heap (after a few more goodies are taken by owner)
Radiator, wipers and choke cable.
Plus spare window catches, radiator panel and overflow bottle. And the brackets for the front valance piece.
IMG_20210626_165758.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Forgot to say about I got spare headlamp surrounds also. Not cause I need any. But maybe one day.

In other news I cleaned up, tapped threads, painted parts, and fitted the wipers today.
Pretty cool just sitting in the truck watching them go back and forth. Lol

Also put 1.5ltr of trans oil in (stolen from the 4l60e) and maybe will try to start it again one day soon and see if it can drive now.