Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I remember my brother had a 1956 series 1 about 40 years ago. Thems were the days.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Imagine having this sort of workshop to do your build!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So was getting a bit sad each time I looked at the loom today, so went out and purchased some top up wiring supplies (connectors, heat shrink etc) and a new set of strippers/crimpers. Then ran a new wire from the switch, through the firewall and to where it will connect.
Then put the dash back in and feel a little better.
As it melted wiring in the loom the fuse must be too big. Fuses protect cables if the cable is rated at 20 amp it should be protected by a 20 amp fuse to state the obvious.
Add a small fuse while your rewiring or check its feed off the right side of the fuse in the fuse box .:)
Yes. Agreed.
I've been thinking that first off I will pull both fuses (yes it only has 2) and then see what still works. Anything that does work I will trace back to see if it is a simple change, otherwise I do have a decent blade fuse holder with wire that I will splice into the wiring at the very start of the incoming power so it's an additional safety over everything (everything except the main power wire which goes to the starter motor before going to the main distribution block)
Or I had thought about a circuit breaker right by the battery - but that would be harder than my other thoughts.

P.S no-one get all technical about how power actually runs from the negative back to the positive. That would put all of my description backwards.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Found a free hour today and checked all wiring running forward in the main loom. Attached park light wire to L/H park wire and ran back to where R/H plug will be.
Stripped the plug out.
Carefully checked hi/low wiring to that plug and heat shrink over one area with slight suspicion.
Fixed one section of earth wiring that was good condition but had insulation missing ( this could actually have been from the previous wiring oops that pulled at the loom.)
Started covering and wrapping the wiring from the front backwards and have that half done.

Casualties of the bad wiring mistake of mine:
received_2958550454474018.jpeg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The proximity of that harness to the fan is making me nervous.
How's this matey:
1638063386380.jpg

Got all the front end panel to panel and panel to chassis finger tight and alignment okay.
1638063386491.jpg

Starting to look like the end is near (hopefully)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Whats all that stuff on the radiator core? Its not going to block the air flow is it?
Not at all.
Infact, the more we handle it the LESS it obstructs airflow.

I'm even selling the radiator fins if you are interested:
received_601643881049984.jpeg

In all seriousness, it's the radiator I got out of the series3 a few months back and may even be 45yrs old itself.
It does have a small core leak under pressure, although these only run to 9psi with a standard cap, so may be a non event.

If it presents a problem in future I will get it re-cored or replaced. But for now I just want to see how the truck drives and that everything works etc.
1638069489584.jpg