Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DEX-COOL or not for L77

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
@VFSV6FORME, I wouldn’t get too caught up on coolant concentration % too much.

Having said that, your process is correct.

I don’t know how much remains in the block after flushing, so first drain a correctly filled system via the radiator drain plug into a big container. Then measure the volume of fluid that comes out.

The vehicle specs should indicate the total coolant volume. What remains in the system is the total volume - drained volume.

Also the needed concentrate volume for a 50/50 mix = 1/2 total coolant volume.

The only difficulty is if the drained volume < needed concentrate volume but I don’t think that would be the case.

So, it should be ok to flush using whatever technique you want to use. Then pour into the radiator the needed concentrate volume. Finally fill up the remainder of the system with your demineralised water ;) It won’t kill the car... after all swallowing before chewing never killed anyone I know of :rolleyes:
In my old VX V6 I used to take out the 2 knock sensors at bottom of the block. It would completely drain the block of coolant.
Then I could shove the hose up there and give it a good flush and drain then refill.
Ahhh to be young and keen

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I haven't run coolant in years as it reduces the efficiency of the cooling system even though it increases the boiling point (only marginally). I use tap water with Penrite 10 Tenths Race Coolant Inhibitor. It never freezes were we live (but does get very close) and never had an issue.

Yes tap water can have minerals, and I like the point about the kettle and the built up minerals from tap water. How much water does the radiator hold and how much tap water do you think goes through your kettle in a year to achieve the buildup? Your kettle will see hundreds of liters of water, your radiator might see 6 litres of water + coolant concentrate every couple of years.

It depends on the properties of your local water supply.

Out in north west NSW where I grew up the town water comes from the Great Artesian Basin.

It comes steaming hot from the bores (the temperature ranges from 30 degrees Celsius to 100 degrees Celsius) and there is no such thing as a cold shower in summer out there, it's high in Sulfur which means it smells like rotten eggs, the PH is very high as is the sodium levels in some areas and is known to kill radiators, jug and heater elements and stain walls.

If you don't wish to be doing a major clean out of the cooling system on a regular basis and you prefer water to coolants you use rainwater from your tank.

The bore water out there is good water for some uses but not for your car radiator.