Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dexos oil

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
If in warranty then I'd say yes.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Just use netlube to find the recommended oil for your vehicle.

You can google "netlube" and the brand you want to find the correct page to search on like this for penrite
https://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Can’t go wrong with Penrite hpr5 mate run it in my L98 and it’s good stuff

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Hi all , is dexos oil a must to put in a L77 ?

GM and GMH would like you to believe it but the ACCC doesn't.

Dexos certified oil is just a way for GM to con owners into thinking that is the only oil good enough for their engines and they do this so as the oil companies/brands have to pay royalties on their sales to have the Dexos Certification.

Of couse GM says it is to ensure that the correct quality oil is used but in truth there are or at least used to be oils that were far better quality that didn't have certification but the market demand by naïve owners is forcing the holdout brands to now get the certification so they can get the sales.

Any good quality oil that is near the specified rating for the engine will do just as good a job and be aware, GM has to prove the oil you used caused a problem with your engine, you don't have to prove it didn't.

Just think what would happen if GM said brand X wasn't a good enough oil and the legal fight that would start with the owner of brand X to protect their reputation.

That fight wouldn't happen as GM wouldn't want it known in the public domain that Dexos certification is a con.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
In addition to making an extra quid from licensing, Dexos oils have certain additive packages that GM wants used in their engines for reasons known to them (eg: low ash content, lubricity additives).

The non-Dexos oils out there that meet the minimum specifications for oil for these engine will be just fine if used at recommended oil changes intervals. The key difference is most of those non-Dexos oils will have different additive packages than does the Dexos oil and so will do the job of lubricating the engine in a different way to that intended by the manufacturer.
Is that really an issue? Who knows... Talking to the 'Merican GM engineers may be the only way to find out.

There's no changing the fact though that if you want to maintain your warranty, you'll need to use Dexos oil during the warranty period.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
just use your preferred brands recommended oil for the vehicle type.
if you are trying to save a few bucks by using a cheaper product that's not recommended by the company that makes the product then you are doing it wrong.
if you like your vehicle then cost on these types of things should not be something you consider because for the sake of an extra 10 or 20 bucks every 6 months is nothing compared to the longevity if the vehicle you enjoy.

if you want to cheap out and use something that causes an issue down the line that costs thousands to repair then you only have yourself to blame.
I am not saying the non "dexos" certified oils would do this I am just saying there is no point in trying to save 10 bucks every 6 months by using a product that does not suit the vehicle according to the people that manufacture the product.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
just use your preferred brands recommended oil for the vehicle type.

This is what I do. I supplied my own Nulon 5w-30 last service. BUT, I made sure to have them specifically note on the receipt the brand, weight AND that it was Dexos 2 rated, and that the front of the bottle specifically mentions Holden/HSV approved.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Same here. I supply my own oil to the dealer (Penrite ENVIRO+ GF-5 5W-30 FULL SYN.) in exchange for an $80 discount.

It's a better quality proper full synth Dexos oil that you can buy on sale from any car parts store for less than Holden will charge you for the oil they'll drop in. Win Win!

Use whatever oil works for you and meets specifications and you can't go wrong.

Attachments

• EPLUSGF5005.png
    EPLUSGF5005.png
    768.3 KB · Views: 314