Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnosing crank but not starting - slip ring

deanis123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais L67
Hi all,

Hoping someone might have some suggestion for trying to diagnose the cause of car cranking fine but not starting and scan tool returned a slip ring error (check engine comes up after cranking for a bit).

Car is series 1 VY calais l67, alternator started playing up and car sat for a few months while I sourced a new one. After fitting the new alternator it started fine then conked out, now won't start. Battery is new and I've tried a new slip ring and new key (immobiliser light turns off with new and old keys). Some combination of these steps seems to fix most people's issues from posts on here.

I've poked around the slip ring to bcm circuit and havn't found any obvious issues, although I don't know a lot about chasing down electrical problems. The key, slip ring and ignition barrel all seem to be making good contact/showing continuity, wiring to bcm and bcm connection seems fine. Also tried swapping out relays and fuses.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Try putting the key in the ignition, turning to ON (dash lights) then pressing the unlock button. See if it starts.

deanis123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais L67
Thanks. I've tried that trick pressing the unlock button with the old and new keys and didn't seem to help, still no start

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Possibly the crank angle sensor then. It can bring up random codes or no code at all.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
... and scan tool returned a slip ring error .....

Couldn't find any slip ring error (DTC) in the VY manual. What's the actual error number and message?

SYSTEM OPERATION - V6 AND V6 SUPERCHARGED ENGINE
When the ignition is turned on, the BCM polls the PCM and sends an encrypted BCM/Key security code. The security code is received via the slip ring, or by the remote receiver in the event of no slip ring communication. The PCM compares the received security code with its stored security code and if the codes match, the PCM enables injector fuelling and continued engine cranking. The PCM returns an OK TO START message telling the BCM to jump from SHORT LOOP mode to the LONG LOOP mode.

deanis123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais L67
In case anyone comes across this, it turned out there was a bad/loose connection at the ignition module.

Reactions: Lex

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thank you for the found result,
No doubt it will help another JC Member in the future.