Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnosing some weirdness with LPG. (Loss of power 1/3rd second.)

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
G'day all :)

Recently I've had issues with seeming to 'lose all power' for about 1/4 of a second now and then, only on LPG. It's quite sudden when it happens, as if the ignition had been turned off briefly, and causes a fair shudder going from cruising to nothing to cruising in that brief period. So I've stopped using LPG for now.

I've fired up TunerPro RT to have a look at what's happening when I switch to LPG. This might not be a very accurate test as I did it fairly quickly before needing to head out. Looking back at the logs tonight, two things seem to stand out.

One is that the LH oxygen sensor (Green) lags well behind the RH oxygen sensor (Blue). I'm assuming they should be about the same?

Log-2019-11-09.PNG

The other is that both sensors crash down heavily I think once I enable LPG. (Enabled by hand over 1400rpm.) There was a low pressure warning logged in the LPG computer's diagnostics section as well. I think that means it'd be running fairly lean. Possibly the filter needs changing (not done in ten years) or the pressure reducing gadget that heats the LPG is due for a service.

Any thoughts on this? It's at 532,000km now and I've never changed any sensors etc since I've owned it at 180,000. I'm thinking it's so lean that it might just fail to spark briefly, but I am also thinking because it's so sudden that it might be electrical in nature. I'd need to do a rolling test I think (not parked) to see if I can capture an event; but don't want to blow anything up either!

I probably should also mention that at idle there's a repetitive slight chuffing sound from the exhaust, so perhaps a valve isn't terribly healthy. The whole thing is getting a bit old!

Logging-Setup.jpg

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So its like a miss? No back fire? LPG needs a higher spark not like fuel your plugs leads and coils have to be in tip top shape to give it that spark. Had mine backfire due to a bad plug but yours just cutting out seems to be power or earth related issue, even a bad selector switch could cause the issue, the lpg regulator reducers the pressure from the tank it would make it run lean if its too low but wouldn't make it stop, you can wind the screw in a little for more pressure but best to leave it and have it serviced. My regulator failed and was putting way to much liquid into my cylinders flooding the system and after a short trip would not start on lpg. Filter if fitted should be changed every service but I don't think your car would have a lpg filter but if it does then it should be changed.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Mine's a direct injection system, so I don't think it can backfire?

I'll change the filter and see if that makes a difference.