Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnostics

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Not sure mate are you talking about coolant temp sensor?or air temp ? Both are new ☹
If you have a 5 litre there are 2 coolant sensors. One feeds the cluster and one the ECU. I'm talking about the one that sends the engine temperature to the ECU.

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
If you have a 5 litre there are 2 coolant sensors. One feeds the cluster and one the ECU. I'm talking about the one that sends the engine temperature to the ECU.
Yeah 5litre ...yeah I didn't change the cluster one think that's just for temp reading .But I did change the coolant temp sensor that goes to ecu

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Let it settle for a while and run and drive it. These cars take a while to settle after major changes.

I might add that worn internals usually don't cause too many issues, these engines are a tough beast. Avoid jumping to hasty conclusions and spending a lot of money till absolutely sure.

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Yeah 5litre ...yeah I didn't change the cluster one think that's just for temp reading .But I did change the coolant temp sensor that goes to ecu
Oh it's not the money definately feel comfortable to do the job Ive done it before ...kicking my ass now for not doing but I was told they were all good but according to my compression tester it tells other wise ...um I just made a leak down tester (compressed air 2 guage one copied the one off YouTube ) that might give me a clue to as what's going on I'd post pics but I can't ?I'll try that tomorrow just gonna give it a break today
Yeah like it's so so close ,so spewin thought I had it ☹

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Have you taken it for decently long drive to clear it out?

Do know with my vp 304 ute acts like bucket of puss whenever it's been left undriven for months at a time...couple of decent drives & all the things that seem wrong with it on first drive go away except for spiders & cobwebs in mirrors lol

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
It really could be as simple as that but to foul up and start stalling again dunno and I'd hate to take it out and have to get towed home lol ...I'll do leakdown test tomoz see if I can find something and rule it out ...
The only thing I haven't changed is my charcoal canister filter thing ? That wouldn't be doing it would it charcoal is rock hard not loose like it's sposed to be ?
Has after market alarm that doesn't work reckon any use taking that all out?
Just grabbing at straws now ☹️

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Like engine has only 200k on it really low if the rings need doing ? Dunno

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Like engine has only 200k on it really low if the rings need doing ? Dunno
If the rings are really bad you'll have oil and thick carbon on the plugs. Are you sure your plugs are the right heat range?

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Yeah 100 percent got the right plugs forge the number think NGK brp something ummmm plugs are coated in carbon not wet but yeah enough carbon to foul
If the rings are really bad you'll have oil and thick carbon on the plugs. Are you sure your plugs are the right heat range?
A

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Yeah these ones ...BP6EFS it could be possible it's running Rich coz of the extra fuel in oil?