Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnostics

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
ALDL connector,VN, VP model shown. IMG_1524.JPG

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Bit of speaker wire or thin split pin & list of fault codes is all you really need.

vn-vp have plug above

vr-vs have aldl above brake pedal...bridge pins 5 & 6

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Ok guys not sure if you remember my thread ,but I finally put my new alternator in ,got rid of my parasitic draw and is charging well ,replaced IAC and throttle control sensors with new Delphi's ...yesterday I cleaned plugs up fired up first go and was awesome felt the idle adjust with new sensor was going awesome reving not backfiring was so happy ran for about 5 mins with little smoke minimal but it was still there ...this morning I checked just no 1 spark plug hoping to see that soot carbon **** gone but it wasn't ☹️
Started first go again and was progressively getting worse checked timing didn't adjust nothing just checked was at 10 deg only thing I done was after the first day I had it going sweet I disconnected battery and in the next morning didn't recalibrate IAC would that do that ? Starting to think it's rings hey fuel smells like fuel ...changed everything ☹️heartbroken

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You shouldn't have to recalibrate the IAC after the initial calibration. If you have sooty plugs and bad rings you will be burning oil.

Could be really stale fuel.

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
You shouldn't have to recalibrate the IAC after the initial calibration. If you have sooty plugs and bad rings you will be burning oil.

Could be really stale fuel.
Yeah that's what I was thinking about the sensor ,
It was a lil overfull with oil this morning so I took some out had fuel in it wreaked ...could having that shitty oil in it from last time do that ? Coz yesterday when I started it was a different car hey then just progressively got worse guessing plugs just got worse n worse ...has fresh 98 in it
No engine lights 02 sensors working got a new one
Only thing it could be is isolation from paint on the headers ? Maybe not giving a proper reading ...doing my head in

Least I guess if I do rings it rules it out ...

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
A set of wet and dry compression tests will tell you if it's rings. Is the temperature sensor that feeds the ECU working? If it's not the ECU can think the engine is cold and richen the mixture.

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Not sure mate are you talking about coolant temp sensor?or air temp ? Both are new ☹️

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Not sure mate are you talking about coolant temp sensor?or air temp ? Both are new ☹
I do have a compression tester but it's a real cheap one ...compression was up to **** just with that haven't done a leakdiwn test or anything and that wasn't with wet cylinders( like oil )