Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did my smash repairer lie to me?

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
There shouldn't be a lot of orange peel if the panel was prepared correctly and the paint was laid on wet and you most definitely shouldn't be able to feel it. The paint shop would have been paid nothing buy the insurance company and therefore do cheap, quick and nasty jobs in my opinion.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Thats right. I remember now that insuramce companies are pricks like that. Often having a preset amount of what they'll pay for a particular repair. Still I just can't accept this. I don't want to be an arse but I'm beyond disappointed over the quality.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
As a painter the first thing we are taught is the panel is to match the rest of the car. So if it has more peel than the rest of the car its not done right. As an example if you sent in a show car with all the peel knocked out then that's how the repaired panel should look regardless of what's acceptable to their standards.

So if the panels look different to the rest of the car they haven't done it right. Like eyy says it's not too hard for then to just knock it back and give it a buff. Unless it's super chunky then they will have to clear it again.

Just keep calm when you talk to the assessor. They can be such pricks and really try to worm out of it sometimes, but you won't get anywhere with them if you lose your cool. (I'm currently dealing with a bloody assessor with my bro's car. He's an arrogant prick) bottom line is though you can tell the car has been repaired and it should look just as it was before the accident. Hopefully that's all you need to say. We'll.. in a perfect world lol.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Keep riding them Tas.

They're cnuts and they get away with this **** because people either dont see, or dont care about the level of work that is done to their car by repair shops trying to do the job on the smallest price possible.

I've had 4 crashes, 3 not at fault, all were repairable.

It took 4 months of constant shitfighting to get them to sort out the problems they'd caused. From scratching up the rear quarters to refitting a trim with ripples in it because they said it was no longer available (i walked nextdoor to spare parts and got the printout that there were 170 in Dandenong) supplied the evidence to the insurer before it went back in to fix. 2 weeks later, they tried pulling the same **** again saying it wasnt available....they almost gout the piece of paper rammed down their throat for that one.

Moral of the story - Insurance companies are cnuts and screw repairers out of enough money to decently fix your car. Therefore the repairer passes the butt-rapage on to you in the guise of a **** quality repair.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
As a painter the first thing we are taught is the panel is to match the rest of the car. So if it has more peel than the rest of the car its not done right. As an example if you sent in a show car with all the peel knocked out then that's how the repaired panel should look regardless of what's acceptable to their standards.

Somebody should sit the retards down who resprayed the front quarter on the Cruiser. Didnt cut it into the bonnet, and only blended above the door centre trim line....when i queried the insurance company they pulled out the standard line of "We're not going to spray the whole car, if we spray the bonnet we'd have to spray the front bar".....would be interesting if they did. A body coloured bullbar would have raised my eyebrow even higher.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Anyone else wondering why the hell they're spraying acryllic rather than 2k on a relatively new Merc. Cost cutting at its best I'd say, keep pushing em Taz, Repairer and insurance are meant to be looking after you, not the other way round.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I'll be speaking to RACV today. As yet, they are unaware of my concerns. They've always been fairly helpful in the past.

I'm guessing that they've done it quickly and cheaply on the premise that the majority of Mercedes-Benz owners don't know what to look for. I know that a 13 year old C class is not prestigious to them... but it is to me. Thats what counts right?

I know myself when working on customer vehicles... jjust because it's a dirty old EL Falcon that's falling apart around me doesn't mean it's a pile of junk to the owner and if I half arse it then I would run the risk of having to do the job again.

Another pain in the arse is that if I send it back to them, I lose most of a days work. While I'd be happy for them to come and collect it on a tow truck, I dont trust them enough to return the vehicle in a condition I'm happy with.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Anyone else wondering why the hell they're spraying acryllic rather than 2k on a relatively new Merc. Cost cutting at its best I'd say, keep pushing em Taz, Repairer and insurance are meant to be looking after you, not the other way round.

I honestly thought it would've been 2K but in reality, I'm happy with acrylic. The colour is a gloss black and no metallic. Im happy with the colour, blending and depth. Just the peel...