Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did my smash repairer lie to me?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive texted you ray.

sounds like the apprentice got to your merc... also racv says it all, ive worked at RA shops in the past. the **** ive seen get done to cars would give you ptsd. racv cuts the quotes so low the repairers cant make a profit so they cut corners. fk them off go with someone else.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Waiting to hear back from RACV regarding getting it assessed. They wanted me to take it back to the original repairer to which I reminded them that I've already complained to them and was told it was within "specification" and on top of that, I wasn't keen on the two hour round trip for them to look at it and pretty much say "Nope, she looks good mate!"

They will either send out an independent assessor or ask me to go to someone local for assessment.

Thanks for the heads up mate. Will keep you guys updated.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Ok so few points i have noticed.
1, wtf was it in acrylic, thought people stopped using that 20years ago, good luck to next person trying to spray over the top of it.

2, Orange peel is used by hack painters! The reason is this, to paint glass like my ute not only requires crazy amounts of prep but a lot of skill, by spraying with a bit of orange peel it stops runs, the more you try and spray like glass the greater chance of getting runs. Hence you will notice cars from factory have slight orange peel not a glass show car look. It can be caused by holding gun too far from what you are painting, obviously the closer you are the more likely you are to blow a run in it etc. Basically everything that causes orange peel is operator error be it, too long between coats, too cold, too hot etc

I am not a painter, however my best mate is and have now built three project cars through him, he is the most anal retentive bloke i know. I have spent hundreds of hours in his shop, watching helping chatting etc. So i am by no means an expert but going off what he has told me there is no excuse for orange peel in large quantities.

722D9026-CACC-4D35-975A-DF204A5F270B_zpsktjiul7j.jpg

This is straight off the gun has yet to be polished, no orange peel and glass! Yes a lot of time was spent on this and yes its a very expensive respray but even so there is no excuse.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ok so few points i have noticed.
1, wtf was it in acrylic, thought people stopped using that 20years ago, good luck to next person trying to spray over the top of it.

2, Orange peel is used by hack painters! The reason is this, to paint glass like my ute not only requires crazy amounts of prep but a lot of skill, by spraying with a bit of orange peel it stops runs, the more you try and spray like glass the greater chance of getting runs. Hence you will notice cars from factory have slight orange peel not a glass show car look. It can be caused by holding gun too far from what you are painting, obviously the closer you are the more likely you are to blow a run in it etc. Basically everything that causes orange peel is operator error be it, too long between coats, too cold, too hot etc

I am not a painter, however my best mate is and have now built three project cars through him, he is the most anal retentive bloke i know. I have spent hundreds of hours in his shop, watching helping chatting etc. So i am by no means an expert but going off what he has told me there is no excuse for orange peel in large quantities.

722D9026-CACC-4D35-975A-DF204A5F270B_zpsktjiul7j.jpg

This is straight off the gun has yet to be polished, no orange peel and glass! Yes a lot of time was spent on this and yes its a very expensive respray but even so there is no excuse.

While I appreciate your input, I think you might have a couple of things back to front.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
You asked if what reparier has done is ok, i am simply saying it is not. Large amounts of orange peel is never ok and why are they using acrylic..... its not 1985. Simply explained why you get orange peel and its always operator error!!!!!! Not sure whats back to front about that?

As for them saying its in the specs you will find there is a standards and tolerances guide to what is and isnt acceptable workmanship

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Not really applicable to tas's situation though. You have to make things peely sometimes because cars come from factory with peel. So if you try and be a hero and paint the door and guard your repairing like a show car the rest of the car looks ****.

Tas probably just wants the car to look like it did before the accident. And if the boot is peely at the back and flat on the top then that's definitely a hack job because there's inconsistencies on the one panel let alone the rest of the car.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Not really applicable to tas's situation though. You have to make things peely sometimes because cars come from factory with peel. So if you try and be a hero and paint the door and guard your repairing like a show car the rest of the car looks ****.

Tas probably just wants the car to look like it did before the accident. And if the boot is peely at the back and flat on the top then that's definitely a hack job because there's inconsistencies on the one panel let alone the rest of the car.

100% mate,and as stated several times i said LARGE amounts of peel is not ok. I was simply explaining what peel was and what causes it, never said to spray with zero peel on a repair job. You need to match whats there simply saying peel be it small or large is user error.
Was simply pointing out the owner of shop is full of ****.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
if you're like me, you can also get heaps of peel by using fast hardener when it's too hot... fkn had to sand down and respray the whole car

i'm always worried i'll get runs so I tend to spray a little too dry on the vertical panels so get a bit of peel, but hammer it onto the horizontal panels lol

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive had tens of thousands of hours with a spraygun in my hand. with clear coating its about knowing the product and gun settings with said product. ive got a specific gun i like for 2k materiel's. its an iwata w400 wb1 1.4mm. when youve sprayed hundreds of liters of one brand clear on stuff you tend to get a feeling for its behavior and limits. when i get in the booth i dial in my gun to my default 2k setting and start from there. tempatures, hardener speeds all come into play too. i dont have a pressure gauge on my gun i go by the tone of the air hissing to how much is enough. im at the point in the game where i can clear without seeing exactly how its going on, do it by feel, gun passes, air pressure sound, air temp and paint temperature all make a difference.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thats because you are the man Ryder. Still really impressed with the VW you did for us.

Anyway, not much to update. The RACV assessor contacted me annd I explained the situation regarding the orange peel, panel gaps could've been better but one was a disaster and the Merc star logo sits proud of the boot lid (my wife knocked it off yesterday lol) his response was "so everything they touched huh?" We had a laugh and I said that the new tail light works! He is organizing a closer assessor to come and take a look and I said I'm happy to go somewhere if it makes it easier. I'm even happy to take it back to the original shop but it means I lose work and as a sub contractor...It'd cost me money and someone would need to reimburse me.