Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did the HQ-WB ever make it to left hand drive?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Which is a dealer conversion like I stated. They were never intended for our market it's why they're 120-170k to try and get your hands on one at the moment.

We don't have Chevrolet here so anything that doesn't have a RHD option is all classified as a dealer conversion.

If Chevrolet themself wanted to break into the market and planned on selling them here they'd be RHD straight off the production line.
GM Organized the conversion here in Australia and NZ for their special vehicles trading under GMSV.

Reactions: Lex
H

harrop.senator

GM Organized the conversion here in Australia and NZ for their special vehicles trading under GMSV.

Fair enough maybe it was due to low numbers they planned on selling. There's probably 50+ hours in doing a conversion on an already built car. If they'd planned on doing enough of them they'd be doing them at the factory.

H

harrop.senator

Have were able to prepare 1500 Camaro's for our market where I think they sold 4-5000 Mustangs here last year.

Having a production line that was specifically for RHD cuts a lot of costs and production time of re working something supplied.

It may be why the Camaro was 7k more then twice the price of the us model and the mustang was just short of twice the price of the us model.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
............. and why would any Australian in their right mind buy a GM vehicle now ?

I would prefer to buy a Chinese built Tesla. (coff, coff, gag, o_O ) More chance of getting good service and back-up. (oops, regurgitated pizza spew :()

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maloo
I was of the understanding that the VE V8 ute was the one they did the LHD conversion in the US and not here. This was one of the reasons some of the things that are RHD actually weren't changed as they were in the centre but really on the wrong side for the US market.

There was a company buying in utes and doing the LHD conversions in the US based on parts from the sedans but they stopped some time ago..... I figure it shouldn't be hard to do the same thing with a HDT style....

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maloo
............. and why would any Australian in their right mind buy a GM vehicle now ?

I would prefer to buy a Chinese built Tesla. (coff, coff, gag, o_O ) More chance of getting good service and back-up. (oops, regurgitated pizza spew :()

Yup... and seeing some of the prices being asked is an eye opener..... who'd a thought a WB panel van is worth $88K?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
hey everyone thanks for the replies.....

saw a pic of a WB one tonner lifted and wanted to do that but sounds like a commodore based ute is the way to go from a parts point of view..... although I don't know of any one tonner/cab chassis verions of the later models

Re the conversion, I see a lot of commodores/monaros driving around as LHD Pontiacs and Chevy's so that is pretty straight forward even though there are no utes here......

I guess the next issue is finding a decent ute or deciding on a lifted one tonner conversion on frame ($$$$).

Love the retro HDT stuff as I had a Group 3 many years ago and can see it working on a ute, but really like the idea of a one tonner with a flat tray and roof rack.....

Cheers

If memory serves me correctly, 55-57 Chev owners use a mixture of HQ front end parts when converting from LHD to RHD....

So if you have your heart set on HQ to WB era Holdens as a LHD conversion, do some research with companies that do these conversions on chevs around this era and see what they use to convert from LHD to RHD in relation to Aussie parts