Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did the HQ-WB ever make it to left hand drive?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The previous generation commodore was also LHD - VT-VZ
Ok. I know the Monaro went to America as the GTO but I thought all those were converted post factory. Guess I’m wrong then.

H

harrop.senator

Ok. I know the Monaro went to America as the GTO but I thought all those were converted post factory. Guess I’m wrong then.

Na no way , imagine the labour to pull an assembled car completely down to swap steering racks , columns , dashes and what not etc.

So much cheaper to do it from the jump.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

... this might help

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
A heap of VT-VZ went to the middle east as Chevrolets. The LWB also were shipped over. Holden sold more LWB overseas than in this country.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na no way , imagine the labour to pull an assembled car completely down to swap steering racks , columns , dashes and what not etc.

So much cheaper to do it from the jump.
But don't we do that here with a few brands?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maloo
hey everyone thanks for the replies.....

saw a pic of a WB one tonner lifted and wanted to do that but sounds like a commodore based ute is the way to go from a parts point of view..... although I don't know of any one tonner/cab chassis verions of the later models

Re the conversion, I see a lot of commodores/monaros driving around as LHD Pontiacs and Chevy's so that is pretty straight forward even though there are no utes here......

I guess the next issue is finding a decent ute or deciding on a lifted one tonner conversion on frame ($$$$).

Love the retro HDT stuff as I had a Group 3 many years ago and can see it working on a ute, but really like the idea of a one tonner with a flat tray and roof rack.....

Cheers

H

harrop.senator

But don't we do that here with a few brands?

Not that I know of apart from dealership imported LHD like f series.

If it's actually destined for a market like the monaros were it's factory.

All the new Mustangs and 300c are factory RHD in production they don't convert them.

The challengers are all converted and it's why low km used models are 100-140k for r/t and Sr/t + vs 80 for a brand new 300c srt.

They're privately imported which occurs more costs and then are individually converted and ADR engineered for Australia. That's why they're dealer sold or by conversion shops , dodge never brought them in.

Challenger SRT8 is cheaper in the us new than a 300c is.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not that I know of apart from dealership imported LHD like f series.

If it's actually destined for a market like the monaros were it's factory.

All the new Mustangs and 300c are factory RHD in production they don't convert them.

The challengers are all converted and it's why low km used models are 100-140k for r/t and Sr/t + vs 80 for a brand new 300c srt.

They're privately imported which occurs more costs and then are individually converted and ADR engineered for Australia. That's why they're dealer sold or by conversion shops , dodge never brought them in.

Challenger SRT8 is cheaper in the us new than a 300c is.

I was thinking what HSV did here for the Camaro and the Silverado trucks. Corvette is built RHD.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was of the understanding that the VE V8 ute was the one they did the LHD conversion in the US and not here. This was one of the reasons some of the things that are RHD actually weren't changed as they were in the centre but really on the wrong side for the US market.

H

harrop.senator

I was thinking what HSV did here for the Camaro and the Silverado trucks. Corvette is built RHD.

Which is a dealer conversion like I stated. They were never intended for our market it's why they're 120-170k to try and get your hands on one at the moment.

We don't have Chevrolet here so anything that doesn't have a RHD option is all classified as a dealer conversion.

If Chevrolet themself wanted to break into the market and planned on selling them here they'd be RHD straight off the production line.