Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diesel Commodores

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Diesel is only better in terms of carbonmonoxide output and fuel economy.

Diesel by products are only partially captured and coverted by scrubebrs and particulate filters. What is not caught is the high percentage of NOX (nitrous oxides) which is an even bigger greenhouse gas, and other fine soots which are CARCINOGENIC.

Diesel is only a partial answer.

LPG / NG and Hydrogen appear better it terms of greenhouse gases in total, effeciency, waste porduct generation and world reserves.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Be nice to drop this one into a Commodore

GM's Duramax Turbo Diesel

gm_duramax_4500_file_001.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/25547/gm-delays-new-technology-diesel/

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
It is refined differently, just like our normal petrol is. By world standards, our standard unleaded fuel is a piece of ****.

In terms of diesel, as of this year we actually meet the highest current European standard. There are still many countries on E2 (500ppm), E3 (350ppm for diesel or 150ppm for petrol) and E4 (50ppm) whilst we are now at 10ppm. In terms of petrol, in Australia the requirement for regular unleaded is currently E4 (50ppm). Very few countries have moved to 10ppm requirements because the change is a.) complex and b.) expensive and c.) would actually increase refinery greenhouse gas emissions. We actually have stricter controls than Europe in some areas such as gum levels. Whilst the ppm is in reference to sulfur levels, these standards cover all product parameters including octane, distillation, benzene and other aromatics, olefins, cetane, density, lead and oxygen content.

So not completely sure how our fuel is 'a piece of ****'. Its not the worlds best, but its not lagging behind either.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Personally, I would like to see a diesel commodore. There is only one problem however.

The reason that diesel passenger cars are so popular in Europe is that they get the best quality diesel in the world. In comparison, our diesel is crap quality and expensive.

Thats why all Australian passenger cars run on petrol as to date.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
+1

doesnt diesel cars have to be serviced way more

I own a turbo diesel landcruiser as well as the ls1 wagon.

the landcruiser needs far less spent on servicing. People think they are expensive but really what is there to service???

i change oil every 5,000kms and avery second change (10,000kms) i change the filter also. i have a cleanable airfilter so that never needs changing. the fuel filter i change once a year.

The ls1 wagon i have to change 8 plugs every service. leads every 40,000kms or so. and what ever else fails such as coil packs etc, modules, etc...

the landcruiser is by far cheaper to service and it has 370,000kms on the clock on original motor and will still pull down a house.

Give me a turbo diesel for any day over a petrol engine. And curently and for the past 12months diesel has been cheaper at the pump than unleaded.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
I own a turbo diesel landcruiser as well as the ls1 wagon.

the landcruiser needs far less spent on servicing. People think they are expensive but really what is there to service???

i change oil every 5,000kms and avery second change (10,000kms) i change the filter also. i have a cleanable airfilter so that never needs changing. the fuel filter i change once a year.

The ls1 wagon i have to change 8 plugs every service. leads every 40,000kms or so. and what ever else fails such as coil packs etc, modules, etc...

the landcruiser is by far cheaper to service and it has 370,000kms on the clock on original motor and will still pull down a house.

Give me a turbo diesel for any day over a petrol engine. And curently and for the past 12months diesel has been cheaper at the pump than unleaded.
stop wasting money, the LS1 change plugs/leed's at around 100,000k's
and diesel is not around a dollar a litre.
but i agree on every thing else you said.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Didn't an Audi turbo diesel win Le Mans?

Granted, it was a twin turbo 5.5 litre V12, but it developed over 1100Nm of torque.

The beauty about this is you know that it will trickle down to passenger cars in the coming years.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Australian diesel still exceeds european allowances for sulphur content. We can't meet E4 because of it. (With the exception of BP's super diesel whatever it's called).

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
prob with diesels is they dont rev...they start making power just before redline... they dont belong in commodores sorry