Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diesel Conversion?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Hi everyone, i am wondering if it is actually possible to convert a ECOTEC to a diesel engine.
i dont necessarily want to do a diesel conversion but i am curious?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Whatever....: Petrol engine versus diesel engine

Interesting read....

Anything is possible, but realistically I'd say no... have to change way too much for it work... and being that the ecotec is an aluminum block... it's wouldn't run particularly long...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
350 chev deisel would be the go old as but man what an engine or you could go 2 stroke deisel

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Whatever....: Petrol engine versus diesel engine

Interesting read....

Anything is possible, but realistically I'd say no... have to change way too much for it work... and being that the ecotec is an aluminum block... it's wouldn't run particularly long...

anything IS possible and i would have to say YES.
Right here in our own back yard too.
an Alloytech has been converted.
I contacted these guys over a year ago enquiring about converting the BA to Diesel but they werent yet at the stage of doing conversions for the public.
they said they would be withing the next 2 years though.
they also need enough interest in a particular engine to warrant the cost of prototyping and testing that particular engine model.
Imagine a diesel Gen 3 - AWESOME!
I was that impressed with the whole lot i even offered my BA to be used for testing but they declined.
They can also convert your factory Diesel as well - read and youll see why you would want to.

:: Green Diesel ::

be sure to check out the multimedia as well.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Anythings possible, but you would be much better off fitting an existing diesel motor to your car. Basically you would have to jack the compression up to about 20:1, and make sure the bottom end can handle the extra torque, then you would pretty much have to throw away the heads, and design custom ones, as most modern diesel engines are direct injected. The air on a diesel is NOT throttled, unlike petrol engines, the injectors on a diesel pretty much control the engine speed.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
yeah Ecotec's are Cast Iron Heads, i thought it would involve jacking up the compression i would probably be better off getting a car that comes factory diesel lol.
it was just a thought the other day when i was filling up my petrol tank and say that diesel was cheaper then petrol.

Also can i run my car on E10 fuel, i have seen it at one petrol station and its cheaper and apparently you get more from it?

AlexR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR 'S' Ute
Opposite mate, With E10 you get about 100-200 km less from a tank. So, your saving possibly five maybe six bucks maximum, but you end up paying for it in the end. That and the E10 chews up your rubber hoses. Ran E10 in the V6, ran rough as guts, best thing to do is flush it out with 98

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
E10 costs you money as AlexR said. GM has a V8 diesel in the USA which puts out around 600nm torque. This motor would fit in a VT to VZ and probably the later commos as well. Cost could be a problem though as new tank, fuel lines and filter system plus gearbox to match though Dello could make up a kit to use the current auto. probably looking at $7-8k conservative for the whole job