Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diesel For Commodore?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
800k's easily on a tank in the rodeo.....$100 diesel last me almost a month and i drive my rodeo every day

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
my rodeo drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow... i reckon i need new injectors..
was just talking to my dad and he said the fella said it was 72 litres.. and i did say two trips to adelaide.. so that is 1600 k's. pretty bloody cheap

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
defa said:
my rodeo drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow... i reckon i need new injectors..
was just talking to my dad and he said the fella said it was 72 litres.. and i did say two trips to adelaide.. so that is 1600 k's. pretty bloody cheap

mines basically like new and im the fussiest bastard with it lol... in a smaller car a 3 litre diesel would be ideal.... less weight with more torque would be good for in the ciy i reckon

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
SSV8pilot said:
So it's no surprise the Astra offers diesel - the commodore is I think a more home grown engine (V8 excepted.)

What do you mean by the engine is a home grown engine (I'm assuming your meaning the V6)?

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
vztrt said:
What do you mean by the engine is a home grown engine (I'm assuming your meaning the V6)?

Yes I meant the V6 - hence why I quoted the V8 as being an exception - USA heritage as I understand.

The point I was making is that - given the V6 is home grown and diesel engines have not been a major priority in Australia, I would presume they are less advanced than the northern hemisphere motors - whereas Europe have been selling far more diesels and so invested accordingly in refining them.

Cheers

kojamoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
One reason I can think of Holden going diesel is that the price of unleaded will never go back under $1 a litre and will only increase. The future is looking rosy for diesel and in particular bio diesel which can turn oil (vegetable or animal) into diesel It is only at an early stage now but people are already running their cars on it

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
SSV8pilot said:
Yes I meant the V6 - hence why I quoted the V8 as being an exception - USA heritage as I understand.

The point I was making is that - given the V6 is home grown and diesel engines have not been a major priority in Australia, I would presume they are less advanced than the northern hemisphere motors - whereas Europe have been selling far more diesels and so invested accordingly in refining them.

Cheers

I assumed you meant the V6. But the V6 is a Buick motor. Holden may have had some input but by no means is the engine home grown.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
vztrt said:
I assumed you meant the V6. But the V6 is a Buick motor. Holden may have had some input but by no means is the engine home grown.

Thanks.....

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
A diesel to be locally made would have to be an existing design from oversesas or designed from scratch. It is unlikely that an existing petrol engine block like the ex Buick 3.8 or even the new AlloyTec would lend itself to being converted to Diesel as room has to be allowed for a combustion chamber in the crown of the piston and has to withstand a more dramatic pressure rise from the compression and combustion process. If you stand next to a running Diesel you will know what I mean as the combustion noise is not dissimilar to detonation on a petrol engine.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
a lot of people who make bio deisel don't use animal fat. my brother was doing it with a mate for a while.. ther eis an extra process with animal fat and it ends up being a little more costly.. i but i spose with the rising fuel prices it would still work out cheaper... i really reckon it would be easier to go with the oil setup. where you start you car on deisel and then switch it to oil when it is warm.. then back to deisel when you turn it off.