Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diference in vy series 1 and series 2

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
They had a higher level dash which has 3 LCD's instead of 1 for example there is an LCD in the fuel gauge that shows fuel consumption etc,

mine only has a single LCD. not sure why i thort it was a series 2..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There were extensive upgrades in equipment levels when the Series 2 was introduced. Some of them have already been covered. The Execs picked up a few equipment items already mentioned, minor cosmetic changes and little else. The Berlina picked up a fair bit of Series 1 Calais bits. Leather wheel, satin silver interior highlights, foglights, 16 inch alloys (previously 15's), chromed rear number plate surround, black insert in lower rear bumper. The real money was spent on the Series 2 Calais. The factory decided to market it as a "European style sports sedan" instead of just a luxury model. The most obvious changes were:
1. 17 inch 5 spoke alloys (previously 16's) 2.New front bumper facia, upper and lower grilles 3. SS style lower body kit. In the case of the front bumper, the spoiler is moulded as part of the bumper facia. 4. FE 1.5 suspension, slighter firmer than standard, which was reported as being a better set-up than FE 2 for a car like the Calais. 5. Black headlining and trims. 6. SS style leather wheel. 7. Unique tail-light and rear reflector design, with the reflectors moved into the lower bumper and accompanied by a new design of bumper insert.

Just to confuse matters various limited production runs of Equipes, using bits and pieces from previous models, were released during the Series 1 and 2 production. Not sure, but there might have been Lumina's as well.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
there were Lumina's and Equipe's both had 16" alloy wheels and their unique trim material, not sure about the rest of the extra's. The alloy's used were usually off an earlier model Commodore for example the series 1 Lumina's rims look like a VX S Pac and the Series 2 Equipe's look like VY Series 1 Calais rims. Don't forget the 25th Anniversary edition as well which has loads of extras and the rims are VY Series 1 Berlina.
I found this web site which lists what each model had fitted as standard equipment and it has a picture. It's not exhaustive and doesn't mention series 1 and 2 differences
VY Commodore
Also here are some more links listing the changes for series 2
http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2003/large-passenger/holden/commodore/holden-vy-series-ii-3525
http://www.myautomotiveforum.com.au/commodores/vy.php
http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/vy/index.html

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
ahh so the series 1 s pack has chrome boot strip..?

No, Strip is S2, series 1 is blank unless it's a Calais.

Not sure about Berlinas though

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
No, Strip is S2, series 1 is blank unless it's a Calais.

Not sure about Berlinas though

Almost

Series 1 did not have any strip. Chrome boot strip on S2 was reserved for Exec, Acclaim, Lumina (?), 25th Anniversay (?) etc. The Berlina and Calais did not get the chrome strip due to the chrome number plate surround, S and SS didn't get it because chrome and sport don't really go together.

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
pretty sure it was only the higher level cars that had the 3 lcd cluster

the series 2 had the same cluster as the vz's

i thort my car was a series 2 because it has series 2 17'' wheels

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Almost

Series 1 did not have any strip. Chrome boot strip on S2 was reserved for Exec, Acclaim, Lumina (?), 25th Anniversay (?) etc. The Berlina and Calais did not get the chrome strip due to the chrome number plate surround, S and SS didn't get it because chrome and sport don't really go together.

Sorry what i ment by "series 1 is blank" is the chrome surround, and i wasn't sure on berlinas.. I should of explained bettter.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i thort my car was a series 2 because it has series 2 17'' wheels

easily swapped, if you wanna find out if its a series 2 or not, take the vin number into holdens and they'll tell you

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
pretty sure it was only the higher level cars that had the 3 lcd cluster

the series 2 had the same cluster as the vz's

Series 1 and 2 dashes the fuel gauge works opposite from memory eg you put a series 1 cluster into a series 2 car and the fuel gauge reads in reverse. The actual fascias are the same. There was more than 1 form of higher level dash I think for example the SS one doesn't look like a Calais one. The series 2 S definately has a highher level cluster, not sure about other series 2 models like the Lumina but my 25th Anniversary is series 2 and it just has the standard dash.

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
easily swapped, if you wanna find out if its a series 2 or not, take the vin number into holdens and they'll tell you

the tyre place card is matched to the wheels too tho?
yea i might go in and check..