Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff backlash

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
ok im running a stock diff with 3.08 gears with a spool and im getting some serious backlash. I had it up on the hoist the other day and i could move one wheel about 100mm before the other would kick in. I seemed to think i may have snapped an axle but i dont wanna know at the moment if i have.. lol. but anyway... i know with the old banjo diffs there is a way to ajust backlash.. Is it possible to ajust the backlash on the stocko vp diffs???

H

HATER VP

If the shaft was snaped, it would be floating around inside and you be able to see the wheel moving around while driving. I guess it would be clunking then.
This can be caused by a worn pinion, excessive clearance between splines, worn teeth or worn thrust washers and so on.
You will need to check it with a dial indicator and can be done with or with out the cover removed.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
im not fussed about ripping the centre out doesnt take that long. nor is it that difficult. I think i might try and find me some new diff gears in the next couple of weeks and chuck them in and replace all bearings and stuff and chuck ill check the axles and stuff.. Im getting alot of clunking when turning now which i never got before. And last time i was out swining the rear end about it sort grabbed like a bitch and felt like it kicked a single flicked me back straight instantly.. Thats when i THINK i either shered the splines or twisted/snapped the axle. If thats what ive done

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
It's called extra play, I have the same only worse, My wheel moved about 1-2" When up on the hoist, When i stick it in gear when warm it will engage pretty hard, It's just play in it old age it's going but to be honest my brothers BA has something similar but very minor, So i wouldn't over worry until it slips or something.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
hmmm ive decieded to rip the spool out so when i get around to it it will will be yanked out.