Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff backlash?

aza64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 01'
hey do u guys ever experience any excessive backlash from the diff while taking corners or bends? my diff makes a banging sound sometimes when i am exiting out of a corner at an average speed. any suggestions why? thanks.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
it wont be your diff mate, been thru this with my mechanic a few times now, it will be backlash in everything, from unis, to tailshaft, lack the car up, wack it in neutral with the hand break on, grab the tailshaft at the back of the gearbox and move it, if it pivots more than 5mm holden say thats excessive, have a look when u do it, you will see the play in everything right down to the hubs

hope that helps

-R

aza64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 01'
thanks man that helps. coz i just thought that was the sign of my diff seeing its last days.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
nah mine does it as well alont with every vt-vy ive been in

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
ours is real bad imo took it to holden and they told me that it had 20mm backlash and it was not passed there maximum tolerance.

20mm???? holy ****, im almost 100% sure that it was 5mm maximum cos mine moves 4mm and he said that that was boarderline

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
ours is real bad imo took it to holden and they told me that it had 20mm backlash and it was not passed there maximum tolerance.

20mm? that is totally not acceptable. way to much

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
for 20mm man im surprised it hasnt gone snap yet, given ur in the xu6, with aslightly more go.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
So am i it makes alot of noise though not so much whilst your under power but when your cruisin and "floating" it along it bangs and clucks pretty bad. funny thing is it took a few small burnouts at the drags and 5 runs and i give it a bit now and then and it just keeps going getting worse and worse lol.