Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff change questions.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon - ex. cop car, HZ 1 Ton Ute, 67 Impala
I am shortly going to be changing out the diff in my Commie Wagon and have some questions if anybody who has done this already is willing to share.
  1. Can you get away without having to remove the springs? I have read two manuals - one does not mention removing the springs and the other one does. I am picking that you could possibly leave them in and the shocks attached (to contain them) and just lower the sub-frame to access the diff head to frame bolts after removing the four rear mount bolts - leaving the from sub-frame bolts untouched? Or I could be wrong?
  2. Is there enough length in the brake lines and handbrake cables or do they have to be disconnected before lowering the sub-frame?

Cheers!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You just unbolt the diff head, tailshaft and drive shafts....The rest stays in place...ie springs shocks etc etc

Reaction score
Members Ride
How did you access the two mounting bolts adjacent to the diff yoke without lowering the sub-frame?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Your ride says that the wagon is a VY. If this is correct, why are you posting in the VT/VX forum instead of the VY forum? You might get a better answer there.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
remove the 4 small diff mount bolts, lower the crossmember down, reach in and un do the bolts that hold the housing into the subframe.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your ride says that the wagon is a VY. If this is correct, why are you posting in the VT/VX forum instead of the VY forum? You might get a better answer there.
It is correct. I am guilty as charged. However I have had pretty minimal to no response to questions there and good responses here. For what I am after, the VY is much the same as VX and there is three times the activity here. So I hope I have not offended anybody by posting here instead. It's not like I have done the proverbial dump in the middle of the dinner table on Christmas Day!

Reaction score
Members Ride
remove the 4 small diff mount bolts, lower the crossmember down, reach in and un do the bolts that hold the housing into the subframe.
Thanks for the help! Did you remove the rear half exhaust system and disconnect the brake lines first? To allow room for lowering the sub-frame.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
You don't lower the whole subframe.

Reaction score
Members Ride
You don't lower the whole subframe.
Sorry, I did not mean the whole sub frame. I meant the rear of the sub frame leaving the front half attached. As it lowers I want to know if it will affect the brake lines, hand brake cable, and if the exhaust will interfere.