Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff conversion

TUFFVB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
i just bought myself a vk diff with disk brakes to put into my vb. Its just a standard non lsd diff but i just wanted to make sure there was nothing i needed to change. I was told something about having to change the brake master cylinder because of the disks. could someone please clarify.

Also the diff is complete minus a handbrake cable, could i use the stock handbrake cable from my diff or not?

Cheers
James

holdenman308

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vn wagon
yes master cylinder will need changing i have a disc diff in my wagon but havent change master cylinder yet (as car is still a project in the shed not on road) and yea car dosnt stop very well lol as for hand brake cable i thank they are different but i havent got there yet lol

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Handbrake cables are different and you need to replace the 15/16" master cylinder with a 1" unit.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Some later VKs ran the Borg Warner diff. You may have to change the rear half of the drive shaft as well. If your car had drums then you will need to change the handbrake cable.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you need to replace the 15/16" master cylinder with a 1" unit.

i have heard a lot of people saying that, which is weird cos' my V8 VK which is an L32 so factory V8 is running a 15/16's master (from factory) and obviously it has 4 wheel disc brakes.

so yeah, master cylinder change is unnecessary. mine works fine.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
i have heard a lot of people saying that, which is weird cos' my V8 VK which is an L32 so factory V8 is running a 15/16's master (from factory) and obviously it has 4 wheel disc brakes.

Forgot I also upgraded to VT brakes, that's why I changed master cylinder.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd

There is two types of 15/16 master the drum and disc style, my factory 308 also has the 15/16 with discs, drum masters have a residual pressure valve and a biased a bit differently as drums require fark all pressure to work compared to discs.